It’s not every day that a year like 2015 comes around.
A year where the Australian economy is set to slow down, interest rates will remain low and the Sydney and Brisbane markets are expected to show price growth – again.
How can you make the most of these market conditions in 2015?
1. Review your existing property portfolio.
2015 is a great time to review your excising property portfolio.
It's important to periodically review your property portfolio to make sure it is:
- Helping you achieve your goals
- Helping you achieve financial independence
It's also important to systematically weigh up the pros and cons of each property in your portfolio.
You can do this by asking yourself the following questions:
2. Identify a clear property investment strategy.
- Is my portfolio helping me achieve my goals?
- Is my portfolio balanced?
- Am I getting the returns I desire?
- Have I maximised my rental yield?
- Can I manufacture additional capital gains?
- Are my properties owned in the right structure?
- Do I have the most competitive interest rate?
A clear investment strategy is the key to building a multi-million dollar property portfolio and achieving your lifestyle goals faster.
The first step in the process is to identify where you are right now, where you want to be and what’s holding you back from achieving your goals.
In 2015 you need to get clear on what you want and set investment rules around future purchases. This will help you filter through unqualified properties and keep you focused on what’s important.
3. Review your current financial position and develop a finance strategy.
Ask yourself the following questions to get an idea of your current financial position:
4. Review you current ownership structure and develop an asset protection strategy.
- Is my current financial structure working for you?
- Do I have equity I can access?
- Should I look at refinancing my loans?
- Do I have a competitive interest rate?
- Do I use multiple lenders?
- Are my loans cross secured or stand alone?
- Can I access finance? If not, do you know what you need to do in order to get finance?
- How will the current properties I own affect future purchases?
The correct ownership structure and asset protection strategy is vital to achieving your long term goals. It’s important to create a structure which protects your assets and maximises your returns.
You can review your structure by sitting down with your accountant to discuss your existing structure and plans for the future.
5. Buy better properties in 2015.
The next step is to implement your property investment strategy.
To build a multi-million dollar property portfolio in 2015 you need to understand the relationship between each property you own and your long term goals.
Gone are the good old days where you could buy an unlimited number of properties if they were positively geared and you could expect your property to double in value every 7 – 10 years.
In 2015 you have to be strategic, educated and focused.
Sit down with your Mortgage Broker, Accountant, Solicitor and Buyers Agent and make sure your next property purchase aligns with your long term goals.
6. Add value to your existing property portfolio.
The sixth step in the process is to increase the return on your current investments.
Unfortunately many investors over look this step, but it’s vital to moving forward faster.
Do you have properties in your portfolio with untapped potential?
Would a basic cosmetic renovation allow you to improve your loan to value ratio, create instant equity, improve your rental yield and buy your next property sooner?
2015 would be a great year to review and add value to your existing property portfolio.
7. Manage your properties better in 2015.
A great property management team is vital in achieving your long term goals. It’s important to find a proactive property manager who will treat your investment and your returns like they would their own. If your property manager did not increase your tenants rent in the last 12 months then it’s time to begin looking elsewhere.
8. Review your tax depreciation benefits.
If you don’t already have tax depreciation schedules set up for each of your investment properties make sure you get this sorted out in 2015.
It’s important to create a schedule which protects your assets and maximises your returns.
9. Re-invest your profits and repeat this process again in 2016.
The final step is to re-invest your profits.
There are fantastic buying opportunities available to savvy investors in 2015.
Take the time to identify growth markets and identify quality properties that align with your longer term lifestyle goals.
Do you have more than $200k in your super fund? You could use your super to buy property - Find out how
From Marketing Manager, at one of Australia’s largest home builders, to full time investor and developer, Ben’s passion is property investing. Having built and renovated 6 properties before his 30th birthday, he believes in buying property with high rental yields, in growth markets, below market value. Ben loves spending time with his beautiful fiancé and two little girls, he’s also a keen surfer and traveller. You can take a look at Ben’s personal property portfolio here:
Top Suburbs :
Get help financing your investment
Do you need help finding the right loan for your investment?
When investing in property, it is important to make sure that you not only have the lowest available rate that you can get, but also have the correct loan features for your needs.
Just fill in a few details below and we'll then arrange for a local expert Aussie Mortgage Broker to contact you and work out what features or types of loans are right for your needs. We'll even help with the paperwork. Plus, our mortgage broking service is at no cost to you.
We value your privacy and treat all your information seriously - you can check out