Your Investment Property forum is the place for positive industry interaction and welcomes your professional and informed opinion.

6 all-important tax issues you need to know when investing overseas

Notify me of new replies via email
Your Investment Property | 09 Sep 2011, 12:00 AM Agree 0
Eddie Chung explains the tax implications of investing overseas and how to comply with the ATO.
  • moni lai storz | 05 May 2012, 06:31 PM Agree 0
    Hi Eddie
    wonderful article. Clearly written that a layperson like me can understand perfectly. Thanx
  • Liz | 01 May 2013, 11:59 AM Agree 0
    " It is advisable to obtain advice from the start so that you are clear on the taxation implications associated with the overseas investment property to avoid future surprises. "

Who would I obtain advice from?! I don't even know where to start!

• Harry | 19 Sep 2013, 12:44 PM Agree 0
    Interestting article - the biigest challenge is to find a Bank wanting to borrow you money for your overseas property. It would have been nice if that was debated too. WI wonder if there any AU Banks or Brokers wanting to provide a mortage in overseas markets these days?
  • Adam VW | 08 Oct 2013, 12:02 PM Agree 0
    Harry, no problem with us getting a loan for overseas property, just go to a Broker. We do have plenty of equity here though to cover it.

Question - if an overseas property is in my wife's name, the bank account that payments come out of are in joint names but the loan is in my name, can she claim through the tax system for negative gearing?
  • W Marx | 12 Dec 2013, 07:59 PM Agree 0
    What sort of taxes do you pay if you use your superannuation to invest in property overseas? I'm guessing it would have nothing to do with gross earnings or Australian income tax? Cheers
  • Ian Watts | 06 Jan 2014, 01:03 PM Agree 0
    Hi Eddie,

Thanks for your informative article. In an effort to be helpful for any other investors interested in investing overseas, specifically Detroit, MI - USA, I have included a copy of my ebook: International Investor's Guide to Purchasing Detroit Investment Properties:

Ebook link:

Hopefully, this is helpful as well. Please let me know if I can assist in anyway with the international investment process, as my team is a supplier of turnkey homes for clients worldwide.

Ian Watts - Your Detroit Real Estate Investment Partner
    Pierson and Company
    Mobile: 313.617.6723
    Toll Free: 800.374.5470
    Office: 313.744.2003
    Fax: 313.748.1017
  • Jennifer | 22 May 2016, 07:13 AM Agree 0
    Is it a tax deduction to go overseas and inspect your property? I have bought land there.
  • daytripper | 05 Jul 2016, 07:41 AM Agree 0
    thanks for the article, it was really helpful. I would like to know if i need to inform the ATO if i simply want to purchase an overseas home as a personal base for myself when on holidays as I find hotels are just too limited and costly for long term holidays of 8 weeks.
Post a reply