Your Investment Property forum is the place for positive industry interaction and welcomes your professional and informed opinion.

6 things you can claim to maximise your tax savings

Notify me of new replies via email
Your Investment Property | 02 Aug 2012, 12:00 AM Agree 0
Every dollar you can claim on an investment property will benefit your financial well being. With this in mind, Eddie Chung explains what you can and cannot claim on negatively geared investments
  • Cathy | 03 Aug 2012, 11:49 AM Agree 0
    I love your valuable information Eddy. I recently settled on my second investment property just before the end of the financial year. The agent already had a tenant which the developer allowed before certificate of occupancy and hence settlement occurred. I would like to know how I calculate daily interest which is 5 days I am able to claim for the previous financial year. I presume I can also claim the deposit as well but I need to know how I would calculate that interest. Many thanks
  • Ava Clemes | 20 Aug 2015, 04:19 PM Agree 0
    Nice Article on tax benefits with depreciation on own property
  • NM | 09 Jan 2016, 02:09 PM Agree 0
    I have a question - can you negative gear if you have offset and redraw facility on that home loan?
  • Mark K | 21 Jul 2016, 12:05 PM Agree 0
    Thank you for the informative article. I wish to comment about para 4, in section 5. 'Capital works', in which you state: "For capital works you incurred on a new building, you need to exclude the builder's profit margin in calculating the construction expenditure amount that you base the capital works deduction on". My comment is that the ATO publication 'Rental Properties 2015' (being the current relevant publication, as far as I can assertain) states, under the heading 'Construction expenditure that can be claimed', p22: "Construction expenditure is the actual cost of constructing the building or extension. A deduction is allowed for expenditure incurred in the construction of the building if you contract a builder to construct the building on your land. This includes the component of your payments that represents the profit made by individual tradespeople, builders and architects."

It would seem that your statement refers only to rental properties built by a speculative builder. Would you care to comment, given that people who have built a rental property from their own plans may be entitled to a significant, legitimate deduction? Thank, Mark
Post a reply