Your Investment Property forum is the place for positive industry interaction and welcomes your professional and informed opinion.

Amass 5 properties in 5 years

Notify me of new replies via email
Your Investment Property | 02 Aug 2012, 12:00 AM Agree 0
Five properties in five years makes a great headline or book title, but is it really a viable investment strategy? Your Investment Property enlists some help to build a roadmap to five in five the safe way.
  • Prue Muirhead | 08 Aug 2012, 11:42 AM Agree 0
    This is a wonderful strategy that I myself embraced in 2006. However I had read a book about buying 10 properties in 10 years. In 2006 I started this simple strategy of buying one investment property per year and by 2009 I had accumulated 12 properties and retired (only 3.5 years later). This is an AMAZING strategy and should be considered by all!!
  • Jane Slack-Smith | 16 Aug 2012, 08:40 AM Agree 0
    I think the opening paragraph says it all. It is an attention getting book title and lets face it sensation sells. I write for the property magazines often and they usually invite me to comment as I am the boring get rich slow voice of reason.

The reality is that those who can afford to service the debt and manage to buy 5 properties in 5 years often are using a high LVR and leave themselves exposed with no buffer or fall back position. They often don't mitigate the risks.

The reality is that people want the dream of financial freedom but they need to understand it is hard work, the sacrifices involved and how to minimise the risks involved. It is no accident that I discuss how a typical family with two investment properties purchased at the right price in the right location can put $1mill in the bank in 15 years. A lot slower timeframe and alot less risk and I will probably sell less books but it is doable.

Great topic though.

Post a reply