Best flooring option?

#1 Posted : Monday, 4 June 2012 7:33:40 AM

Hi all,
I'm not too interested in carpet for various reasons so I'm looking into replacing the current vinyl in a small lounge/dining/kitchen/hallway area for some laminate/click flooring, new vinyl, or tiles.

I guess they all have pros and cons but I would like to know from your experiences, which one would you choose to go with for a rental and why?

• Danny2012#2 Posted : Monday, 4 June 2012 1:18:40 PM

I would definitely say that the best option for rentals is tiles. Laminated flooring tends to get scratched after a while (due to basic wear), and vinyl will start to lift after some time. Also is Vinyl not very hygenic since there are always some spaces (especially in the corners) where dirt tends to gather.

Just make sure that the tiles are put in properly - if the tile grout underneath forms a cavity they tend to break easily. All of my properties I am renting out have tiles throughout. I have never had any problems with it.

• Eos Property#3 Posted : Tuesday, 5 June 2012 12:10:47 AM

Vote 2 for tiles.

Having said that some properties in really cold places (Canberra ) may be advantaged by carpets in lounge, bedrooms etc. and tiles in the high traffic areas.

Not sure there is a 'hard and fast' rule.

• RichardStewart#4 Posted : Monday, 25 June 2012 6:20:29 AM

Well, I think it is completely depends on your choice and budget. But still I must say laminate flooring will be a very good choice because it is durable and beautiful. The vinyl flooring may get damaged after a some time. And it fetch more costly if you frequently changing it. What you need to do is choose a good quality of wood for laminate floor or instead you can get readymade laminate floor from a nearby shop or by placing an order online.

• adivol#5 Posted : Tuesday, 24 July 2012 1:36:26 PM

Well, from my personnel experience, I will suggest you to go for tiles instead of vinyl and wooden floor, because vinyl and wooden floors need proper maintenance, They give a fancy and attractive look but only for short period of time but tiles, yes they are expensive but gives an astonishing look and for long time.

• Darthygrahm#6 Posted : Saturday, 29 December 2012 10:04:08 PM

Hi Friends,

According to my personal experience I prefer carpet as it is cheaper than the other flooring. Now a days a variety of carpets is available in the market which gives the same feeling as flooring.

• Ida Ma#7 Posted : Thursday, 3 January 2013 11:15:37 AM

Have you considered Click on Vinyl Plank (Note: not the self adhesive ones) ? I its completely waterproof, little to none sub-flood preparation is required, cheaper than solid wood flooring, more durable than laminate flooring, and easy to install. I am a first time floating floor installer, but it only took me 40 mins to install it in a 15sqm lounge room. The finished floor looks great, and the the planks i bought have life time manufacturer warranty. i have had the vinyl plank for 6 months now, but have had the need to use my manufacturer waranty.

• Darthygrahm#8 Posted : Wednesday, 23 January 2013 9:27:34 PM

I think both are good, its depend on your choice and on your budget. Ask your family members what they want or go for your choice.

• Di#9 Posted : Tuesday, 12 February 2013 4:27:03 PM

I installed wooden laminate flooring in my own home, and any water that pools on it does result in a small bump underneath. I would go for tiles as well.

• Aaron#10 Posted : Thursday, 14 February 2013 2:33:44 PM

Carpet is better from a depreciation perspective. So if tax/cashflow is a consideration for you, then you may like to add this into you decision process.

• Peter#11 Posted : Saturday, 23 February 2013 8:13:54 PM

A second vote for Vinyl planking. We were initially going with floating timber but because of the high humidty in Northern Qld we opted for Vinyl planking which looks very similar to any wood you like. Not so cold underfoot as tiles. Lasts much longer than carpet and you can put a rug or two on it if you like.

• Captain#12 Posted : Wednesday, 2 October 2013 4:45:41 PM

I think tiles for rental properties are tacky. It is tantamount to shaming a tenant before they've even moved in to your property. I'd prefer laminate flooring in my properties, with the added bonus that laminate flooring help dampen sound in units.

• Mark Coburn#13 Posted : Thursday, 3 October 2013 10:44:13 AM

On a new investment property build, Stepping Stone as buyer's agents recommend ceramic tiles 300/300 (mm) to the Kitchen, Dinning and Hall. Then Solution Dyed Nylon carpet to the Lounge and Bedrooms. The upside of this is all of the carpeted rooms are not connected to other carpeted areas. This lets you change the carpet in one room with out having to change it all or have a mismatch area looking so obvious.

The best carpet I believe (having carpeted over 100 rental rooms) is "Solution Dyed Nylon". It stays cleaner, It stands up for years longer then Poly-prop and other fibres. Wool the best for your own home if you look after it, but SDN is the best for rentals.

A good foam underlay in important too. You wont need to change the underlay for 15 years and the SDN carpet will steam clean better then anything else and look like new every time .

Don't buy Loop Pile, Pattens or light colours. Because they damage far more easily and you can't fix them, aim for a Twist Pile and darker then a coffee stain is a good idea too. Most if not all stains will come off of SDN with a steam clean. I have carefully trimmed burn marks out of SND carpet with a pair of scissors and left the carpet in for another 5 years.

Tenants LOVE carpet in bedrooms and it makes the house feel more live-able for them.

Vinyl planks and ceramic vinyl tiles are great too in kitchens and hallways if you are retro fitting flooring. You will need to have the plank flooring stripped and recoated every 3-5 years between tenants, this is no big deal. Try not to lay vinyl planks in the sun if you can help it, they can fade, but not badly. Vinyl planks are really, really durable. Even when planks are old they look better then sheet vinyl flooring. Vinyl ceramic tiles are really great too, but can be a bit pricey.

I have laid timber laminated in 10 units (7 years ago) and it is rubbish in a rental situation and timber floating or solid timber goes in category as the woollen carpet, great but not in a rental. Just too hard to look after.

I hope this helps. I work as a buyer's agent if you have any questions I am always happy to help.
    Mark Coburn m:0405 243 547 e:mark@steppingstoneproperty.com.au

Post a reply