Your Investment Property forum is the place for positive industry interaction and welcomes your professional and informed opinion.

Buyer Beware: Understanding building and pest inspections

Notify me of new replies via email
Your Investment Property | 07 Dec 2007, 12:00 AM Agree 0
Building and pest inspections highlight a property’s defects and can often help buyers negotiate a lower purchase price. While most investors agree that property inspections are essential, many are in the dark on how to make sense of the ticks in the boxes
  • Disgruntled | 25 Mar 2015, 06:59 PM Agree 0
    We employed a firm to carry out a pre-purchase inspection 12 months ago and items that were listed as minor have turned out to be catastrophic.
    Minor effervescence and hair line cracks in the garage slab we are now told is concrete cancer as a result of poor drainage indicated by damp patches on the pavers - not noted on the report.
    Rear verandah attached to top brick course of rear retaining wall - told must be OK as their assumption is that everything on site is council compliant.
    Front verandah pavers subsiding - minor cosmetic repairs. Turns out to be major works as nearby retaining wall collapsing - not noted on report.
    Also DON't rely on a Final Certificate of Occupancy because it does not mean that the council have inspected the building at all. It just means that they believe that the builder is a nice fellow and must have done the work properly and if he hasn't and you complain they've probably lost the plans anyway..
  • Correy Smith | 19 Jun 2015, 08:09 AM Agree 0
    When would it be a good time to do a building and pest inspection? My wife and I have several inspectors come during the spring time to do the inspection. We were talking about if for quite some time and were wondering if we were doing it right.
Post a reply