Your Investment Property forum is the place for positive industry interaction and welcomes your professional and informed opinion.

Cost to strata title a property in QLD

Notify me of new replies via email
Louise | 19 May 2013, 12:06 PM Agree 0
Hi,
Does anyone have any information on how much it costs to strata-title a property in QLD? I have a duplex at North Lakes, QLD. How long does the process normally take?
  • Ruth | 12 Oct 2013, 08:02 PM Agree 0
    If you happen to find any information on this I would be grateful of an update too please? My daughter owns three small units at Mt Isa and needs to strata them to refinance as the bank does not like 3 units on one title, so we want to strata them. I have been struggling to find an authority or who to go to to find out how to do this and to help her.
    Thank you.

Kind regards,

Ruth 0414789767
  • Louise | 16 Oct 2013, 06:42 PM Agree 0
    I actually found out not that long ago...went to a solicitor and they quoted us about $6000. They said to check with the builder for any additional costs, but when we asked the builder they didn't have any idea about it. Currently in the process. Should take about 2-3months is what we've been told. Probably depends on the council. Hope that helps
  • Wanderer | 16 Feb 2014, 02:56 PM Agree 0
    Hi Louise

Could you update us on the progress ans actual costs for the strata title process?

• Lisa | 26 May 2014, 03:48 PM Agree 0
    I think the first place to start would be with a Land Surveyor or Solicitor. Possibly the land surveyor first to find out if there are any restrictions, like size or disposition of land, that would stop the strata titling process from happening.

To strata title the property you will need to have a plan completed (Building Format Plan or Standard Format Plan) which clearly outlines common property and lots. Which type of plan will make a difference in allocating costs between the lot owners.

You will also need to have a Community Management Statement prepared (possibly by land surveyor or solicitor) including by-laws and lot entitlements. New duplex registrations will be recorded under the new Two Lot regulation module.

Once the plans and documentation are in place the lots can be registered and the body corporate will come into being.

The process does not need to take very long; a duplex is a simple body corporate. The fees will depend on whom you get to help you.
  • Robert S | 17 Dec 2014, 07:50 AM Agree 0
    Does anyone have a ball park figure as to the total cost of doing this in QLD from solicitor fees, council fees, surveyor fees, etc? I spoke to a real estate agent in QLD and she told me, it could cost anywhere up to $30,000 to obtain a strata title for each unit.
  • Tim | 15 Feb 2016, 11:22 AM Agree 0
    I completed a strata titling on the Sunshine Coast and all up it cost around $9k (2009) including council fees and, surveyor/town planner and installing separate water meters etc.

The cost will vary depending on your property but if the duplex is already configured for dual living it should be under $15k.

One of the things you may need to do is construct a full height firewall between the lots depending on the original construction.

Your best bet is to use a town planner for the entire process. You will save money and get straight advice.
Post a reply