Your Investment Property forum is the place for positive industry interaction and welcomes your professional and informed opinion.

Craig Merrett: How I broke into the property marketing with just a $35K income

Notify me of new replies via email
Your Investment Property | 14 May 2015, 12:00 AM Agree 0
Many young people on low incomes blow their savings on travel, cars and nightlife. Not Craig Merrett. Here’s how one smart investor triumphed through a difficult situation to kick-start his portfolio and set himself on a path to achieving financial independence. John Hilton tells his story
  • San | 27 May 2015, 11:20 AM Agree 0
    Excellent achievement you have done so far. Keep it up.
  • Paul | 06 Jun 2015, 04:39 PM Agree 0
    Whilst I'm all for people getting toto the market early in their lives... With the total deposit of approx $60k I am disappointed this gentleman did not seek the services of an accredited buyers agent... With both of Craig's investments being negatively geared by $40 per week and both investments being in relatively low growth suburbs with little economic growth and diversity on the horizon. Craig would have been best served paying a fee of between $8-12k each property and getting an expert to advise on the right purchase... Although it doesn't say when he bought his properties... Syd has gone 40% Melb 25% and SE QLD will do 30% in the next 3 - 5 years... Pay for the expertise in your initial investments and learn from the experts ... You will be miles ahead in the long run and gain more knowledge than you could ever manage on your own...
    Paul.
  • Mrs Hoffmann | 07 Jun 2015, 08:57 PM Agree 0
    It's easy to want to live for "today" and forget about planning for the future. Particularly when you are in your 20's & 30's living at home. Rather than "complaining" about the entry level price of housing, it's refreshing to see a young person chasing their goals. My only regret, that I didn't start investing in property earlier!
Post a reply