Your Investment Property forum is the place for positive industry interaction and welcomes your professional and informed opinion.

Depreciation on old vs. new properties

Notify me of new replies via email
Your Investment Property | 23 Jan 2012, 12:00 AM Agree 0
Q: I want to purchase my first investment property, but am unsure if I should buy a new or old property. How will the property’s age affect my tax claims on depreciation? I was told by friends that it’s not worth buying properties that don’t have depreciation benefits. Is this true?
  • Chris | 24 Jan 2012, 11:05 AM Agree 0

What a lovely detailed answer that ignored the first two questions that were asked. Rather than presuming that the person doesn't have an investment strategy and presuming that they have selected a property type purely based on their likes - why don't you presume that they have a strategy and that they have done research and then provide some concrete answers to their questions - ie, What are the advantages of buying a new property over old? How will the property’s age affect my tax claims on depreciation?
  • Bruce | 24 Jan 2012, 02:39 PM Agree 0
    Ouch Helen I think you were told or was is a dorothy dix question?

• Bruce | 24 Jan 2012, 02:42 PM Agree 0
  • Shane | 25 Jan 2012, 06:34 PM Agree 0
    Chris, by your response you seem rather knowledgabe in these two questions. Why don't you answer the questions instead of berating Helen. Of course I am PRESUMING that you know the answers to these questions or should I be PRESUMING that you don't ???
  • Bob the builder | 26 Jan 2012, 12:35 PM Agree 0
    I agree 100% with Chris. I read this article as I was very interested in the answers. Unfortunately the
    " meat pie " was all pastry and tomato sauce - no meat at all. Disappointing answer to say the least.
Post a reply