Your Investment Property forum is the place for positive industry interaction and welcomes your professional and informed opinion.

Door Knocking Company - Perth, WA

Notify me of new replies via email
SWith1975 | 26 May 2015, 05:20 PM Agree 0
Hi all,

Recently, I had a door knocker come around to my house from 'Cushman Albert Rice' talking about tax minimisation & mortgage reduction.

The door knocker was lovely but it all sounded too good to be true and to top it off their services were free.

Has anyone else used the services of Cushman Albert Rice before & can tell me if they are legit please? I am interested to have an appointment with them but I feel like there is a catch. Can anyone who has used the company's services please let me know about your experience!

Thanks in advance
  • Madeline | 27 May 2015, 09:25 AM Agree 1
    You already answered your own question:-
    "The door knocker was lovely but it all sounded too good to be true and to top it off their services were free"
  • SWith1975 | 27 May 2015, 12:33 PM Agree 0
    Thanks Madeline, have you had the appointment with this company before?

We really are in need of some help as my husband is paying a lot of tax
  • Madeline | 27 May 2015, 12:40 PM Agree 1
    If I were you I would contact a reputable accountant, not respond to an unsolicited knock on the door. If you are a property investor ask any prospective accountant if they are investors themselves... Maybe look for accountants who advertise directly to property investors and give one of them a call. You can also google search Accountant Property and whatever state you are in eg: Accountant Property WA

Good luck!
    • BeedHope | 27 May 2015, 04:58 PM Agree 0
      I am an avid investor and have bought and sold investment property in Australia for the last 15 years. I have found accountants to be limited in their knowledge of investment options and now deal solely with my trusted investment property groups. Your accountant usually tells you that you need to offset your tax or increase assets and then refers you to an investment group to do the research and set-up anyway.

Accountants are important and I utilise mine, however at the end of the day they only process the information you feed them that it why it is important to get good advice before investing. As for finding a reputable accountant...I agree however if you are looking to invest in property I would sit with as many people as possible whether they have knocked on your door, called you or you have found them. Gather as much knowledge as possible from experienced people.

I don't think these blogs are too helpful.
      For real information you need to sit with a professional
  • CallumRaw | 27 May 2015, 02:25 PM Agree 0
    I’ve sat down with them, yes I was dubious as they came to my door but the appointment was informative & they did show me how to reduce my tax.

They left all the info with me & insisted that I take it to my accountant.

Glad I had the appointment.
  • Joondanna | 05 Jul 2015, 11:24 AM Agree 0
    I have had multiple consultations from various companies like this recently as I am looking to invest on the advice of my Accountant.
    I must say Cushman Albert Rice do have a different approach in terms of making the appointment more about the overall picture and not just purchasing a property which I found refreshing, especially when compared to some of the other companies that approached me like IPGA who I would not recommend as they basically worked out that I am able to borrow up to a million and tried to shove 3 regional properties down my throat......I still think I will probably do this myself instead of going through a company though.

P.S Cushman was the only company that followed up with me the next day to ask how I went with the appointment and also gave me a free home appraisal. At the end of the day no one will care about your portfolio as much as you so gaining the knowledge yourself is important.

• Maida Vale Resident | 14 Sep 2015, 05:49 PM Agree 1
    I too have just had a door knocker from this mob. Working for the last 15 years in the investment services industry I was slightly concerned how she came to my door addressed me by my first name etc... what also concerns me is what people take them on face value and possibly talked into investing beyond their means after the free meeting. She wasn't too forthcoming when I started asking her questions and sent her on her way I asked twice for her business card which she did not hand over........if it sounds too good to be true, it usually is.
    • CICADA 3301 | 07 Oct 2015, 02:44 PM Agree 0
      Hi Maida-Vale resident,
      Her name, photo and details (e-mail and personal mobile) are all on their Website.
      I wouldn't expect the girl who is door-knocking to know all the financial ins & outs plus giving out financial advice at the door is illegal which is why they set you up with a professional consultant.

• Amilia | 27 Sep 2015, 09:54 PM Agree 1
    I think you shouldn`t trust door knockers, if I were you, I would appeal to the lawyers and get all the information.
    • CICADA 3301 | 07 Oct 2015, 02:58 PM Agree 0
      "I think you shouldn`t trust door knockers, if I were you, I would appeal to the lawyers"

Amillia this is speaking from a place of ignorance and is also major crazy talk! why would a lawyer get involved with property investment or financial advice at the info gathering stage.

FEAR & FEAR MONGERING causes people to sit on their hands and do nothing as they feel this is safer- If you look at Australia today many baby-boomers who saw gigantic spikes in property values never took advantage and have now caused major issues as we have a ageing population relying government assistance.

I knocked on 100 doors a day, 6 days a week for 18 months as I could not afford any other form of advertising (door knocking is free) without this I would not be where I am today. I don't know if I could do it again now.

I honestly believe some people need that door knock as they have been meaning to get something done however have been procrastinating and, just like a personal trainer, some people need someone to instruct, motivate and motivate them.

If the person at your door does not know what they are talking about and you get a bad vibe then do NOT give out information.

That's common sense

• Amilia | 09 Oct 2015, 01:24 AM Agree 0
      CICADA, I'm sorry if hurt your feelings a professional salesman.
Post a reply