Your Investment Property forum is the place for positive industry interaction and welcomes your professional and informed opinion.

Farmer recognised for building $10m portfolio

Notify me of new replies via email
Your Investment Property | 18 Sep 2012, 10:30 AM Agree 0
Your Investment Property’s Investor of the Year Award 2011 revealed Paul Brooks as a highly commended investor, netting him a wealth of prizes. He explains how he went from disaster on the share market to a lucrative property portfolio today – could you be in his place for 2012’s awards?
  • Property Mavens | 18 Sep 2012, 03:28 PM Agree 0
    Congratulations to Paul on his ballsy efforts to improve his financial position via property investment, or more specifically the high risk strategy of property development. His high risk profile and appetite appear to have paid off for him ( so far) , however he doesn't reference the challenges he faced along the way.
    If you go onto real you will find 269 properties listed for sale in Moranbah and an oversupply of 305 for rent. The bubble there has now burst both from a yield and growth perspective. I wonder how his latest development of town houses will fare in this now very different market...
    A good example of spreading development risk is by spreading development locations, particularly if you are playing in high risk areas such as mining towns. Big potential gains, but the possibility of big losses.
    This type of high risk strategy isn't for someone who wants to invest and sleep well at night. Know your risk profile BEFORE you decide in your investment strategy
  • Hale Real Estate SA | 18 Sep 2012, 03:29 PM Agree 0
    Paul - Well done!
  • Paul brooks | 18 Sep 2012, 06:19 PM Agree 0
    Thanks for your comments mining towns can be high risk and it's not for everyone that's for sure. I certainly new my risk profile being a farmer that's for sure. I spend $1,000,000 on planting and growing our cropping operation and relying on weather and prices doing there bit. Just a few updated facts on my Moranbah investment properties. Ive build 6 townhouse at a total cost of $2.2 Million and sold 4 of them for $2.6 million. The 2 remaining townhouse are rented at $1650 per week for 12 months also
    as of two weeks ago valued at 85% more than build cost. The 3x4 bedroom house's that I built for $475,000 are locked in with a major mining company for 3 years at $2350 per week (26% return). These are still valued at $750-800k and two years old and have already returned $360,000 in rent during this time. ( at the end of the rental lease of these 3 homes they will have brought in $1,460,000 in rent in 5 years?) I've recently purchase two blocks up there and had a DA ( MCU) approved for 11 townhouses to be constructed. I've now on sold the entire project on completion to a mining company at a nice profit before settling on the land and they are financing the build. This isn't risk, I'm still watching the weather channel and waiting for that's risk? The farmer-developer 😊
Post a reply