Your Investment Property forum is the place for positive industry interaction and welcomes your professional and informed opinion.

Finance Q&A - To borrow with spouse or separately?

Notify me of new replies via email
Your Investment Property | 05 Jul 2013, 12:00 AM Agree 0
Finance expert Andrew Krauksts answers a reader’s question as to whether she should borrow with her husband or separately. Andrew also tackles a question on how to keep borrowing as an over-fifties investor
  • Ellie | 18 Oct 2016, 02:02 PM Agree 0
    My spouse and I want to purchase a house together to which he will be making the repayments buy I will be putting my equity in of $200 000 from the property that I have purchased on my own. What is the best way to go about this to ensure that I am not left with empty pockets if we end up breaking up one day? He has mentioned that he should get more of the house because he will be making the payments but never really gave me any figures
    • SeekHelp | 18 Oct 2016, 02:36 PM Agree 0
      You should definitely seek out some financial advice and perhaps legal advice, to ensure you don't get burnt! If you are putting in a large deposit yourself, he would have to make a LOT of repayments in order to get more of the house in case of a split.

Make sure you buy the house in both names and have a clear plan upfront. eg. If he pays the mortgage at $400 per week, that is around $20k per year. If you break up in 3 years, he has invested $60k and you have invested $200k. I'm not sure of the legalities involved when breaking up, but that seems to me like you would be entitled to more if you did separate?
Post a reply