Your Investment Property forum is the place for positive industry interaction and welcomes your professional and informed opinion.

First investment property

Notify me of new replies via email
NK | 16 Sep 2013, 12:55 PM Agree 0
I am 22 years of age and have been thinking of purchasing an investment property for a couple of years now. I have some savings. My limit would be $470,000. I need to know if it's better to purchase an appartment (Parramatta region) or land/build (the Ponds region) but I'm unsure what the best option is. I've heard, in the Ponds area, the value has dramaticlly increased over the past 2 years which is obviously very appealing.
Any suggestions/advice would be much appreciated.
  • Eos Property | 16 Sep 2013, 04:03 PM Agree 0
    Hi NK,

Looking at the last two years is the easy way out. You need to look at what is and will happen in your local area over the next few years and beyond. Median price data is an imperfect statistic, particularly when markets are small or subject to the influence of a significant number of new properties.

If you want to look at stats then look back over the last 10, 5 and 1 years to see if there are any trends evolving - a longer term, looking backwards, picture is much better than looking backwards at the last couple of years.
  • Mark Coburn | 26 Sep 2013, 04:00 PM Agree 0
    We research across 8500 suburbs nationally and then short list to five suburb/areas. We then research in those areas to find which projects, developments, subdivisions, etc.. have the right mix of attributes to be a seriously good mid to long term investment. Simple really, if you have a few 100 hours each month to fly around the country visiting sites, speaking to builders and inspect completed developments, etc. Stepping Stone Property’s research process has been developed by our researcher who did his B.com thesis on Residential Investment Yields. You can contact me on mark@steppingstoneproperty.com.au or 0405 243 547
Post a reply