Your Investment Property forum is the place for positive industry interaction and welcomes your professional and informed opinion.

Houses or units?

Notify me of new replies via email
| 08 Aug 2012, 12:45 AM Agree 0

I'm just curious about the experiences of people who have owned their investments for some time. Do you find that units or houses perform better in an inner city location [prices being equal]?
  • Bennett | 08 Aug 2012, 03:02 AM Agree 0
    Units are usually cheaper to buy, which makes them a more affordable investment for first time investors.The value of a house can also be improved, unlike units. With units there is only so much renovating an investor can do, such as putting in a new kitchen or bathroom, but houses offer much greater scope for improvement. In addition to internal refurbishment, a house can be extended outwards or upwards, creating more rooms and a better view. The land can also be improved, by landscaping the garden or putting in a pool. All of these add considerably to a house’s value.
  • Eos Property | 09 Aug 2012, 04:23 AM Agree 0
    Some recent research over the last few years that I have seen suggests there is no difference in growth rates for units V houses.

The kicker is that some houses can be subdivided and 'growth' created through this and similar processes.
Post a reply