If you were given $100k to invest in property

#1 Posted : Friday, 10 August 2012 4:16:10 AM

Hypothetical question here, but imagine you landed $100,000, but had to invest it in Queensland property by next week. You're looking for the best capital growth possible, with a decent enough rent to be able to support it. What area would you invest in?

Here's your options:

A: Gladstone
B: Mackay
C: Townsville
D: Inner Brisbane
E: Somewhere else

• Ellie_M#5 Posted : Tuesday, 4 September 2012 11:21:02 PM

• Greg Campbell#6 Posted : Wednesday, 5 September 2012 1:16:04 PM

Inner Brisbane

• Daniel#7 Posted : Wednesday, 14 November 2012 11:07:20 AM

Chinchilla or Miles will be great. You can have a 4 bedroom house on a 600m2 block of land and yield at 8% and capital growth more than 10% a year according to history.

• brock#8 Posted : Wednesday, 14 November 2012 8:49:12 PM

I think it"ll be better on mackay.

• Nath#9 Posted : Thursday, 6 December 2012 9:21:49 PM

Great topic post....the range of answers is a good indication of the strength of the areas you put forward. So have you done further research and are you any closer to deciding on your preferred location? I am also looking to invest in done of those areas and had whittled it down to either Mackay or Townsville....

• sweetheart ieigdsdfji1207#10 Posted : Friday, 7 December 2012 2:45:03 PM

• Eos Property#11 Posted : Monday, 10 December 2012 8:23:14 PM

I know your question is only hypothetical but I was curious by your comment, "but had to invest in Queensland".

What was the reasoning behind this part of your question. Investors I know are generally content to look interstate and even overseas so I was curious to see why you confined responses to Qld only.

• jack#12 Posted : Wednesday, 12 December 2012 12:49:52 PM

E. Somewhere else - Darwin. Darwin is set to have a major accomodation crisis on their hands come 3rd quarter 2013 due to the $35 Billion Inpex LNG project that is now underway. There is already a shortage of rental stock with often 15-30 people showing up at the open house/unit all busily writting out tenancy applications on the kitchen bench. Limited supply in all inner city and northern suburb areas. If you cant find a unit to rent there is always the local caravan parks where you can get a powered CAMP site for $265 per week!

• Paul Brooks#13 Posted : Tuesday, 18 December 2012 8:09:04 PM

I like Emerald its a strong diversified rural area with huge potential to the north west with the Alfa project plus existing mining. Add to this CSG projects popping up all over the place and limited suitable land close to town. Yeild are already quite strong, have come off a little due to some mine closers, however by mid next year they will take off.
    I have a high end apartment in Gladstone on the water that I cannot find a tenant for at 5% return. Same problem for a friend of mine close to Brisbane CBD. Mackay is reaching unit over supply and Townsville yield is a bit low for my liking.

• brendon#14 Posted : Wednesday, 16 July 2014 7:13:20 PM

Townsville because we have a Port, we have a University, a great tourism industry(Maggie)
    How about a huge Army base, Air force base, Mining and a few other things iv forgot.
    Not like these fizz smoke mining towns that turn into a disappointing investment. I'm just saying!! Brendon Forshaw

• roy.halim@ironfish.com.au#15 Posted : Wednesday, 20 August 2014 4:03:30 PM

I would suggest inner CBD.

Why?
    - it is conveniently located, close to employment places, public transport, schools, entertainments, etc.
    - world class infrastructure. Government is currently concentrating most of new infrastructure developments in inner CBD.
    - it is in the proximity of Brisbane CBD, the largest employment hub in the state of Queensland (The area is predicted to be employing a total of 380,000 workers by 2031).

These will maximise your return and also reduce the risk of your investments.

If you have further questions, please don't hesitate to contact me.

Roy Halim

• Simone#16 Posted : Tuesday, 26 August 2014 11:34:36 AM

Townsville Safe Bet Market does not fluctuate no harsh peak or trough, just a steady upward growth.

Post a reply