Your Investment Property forum is the place for positive industry interaction and welcomes your professional and informed opinion.

Interested in purchasing an investment property help

Notify me of new replies via email
Tanya | 06 Nov 2013, 03:46 PM Agree 0
Hey I'm interested in purchasing my first investment property. I currently live at home with my dad and regularly pay the bills. I earn around 1000 a week by I am a casual worker so I would only be able to borrow around 300000. Just wanted some advice on how much I should have saved so far I have 25000 and want to know how much I'll need each week for repayments on top of what the tenant will pay. Who do I go through etc
  • aufinancialplan | 07 Nov 2013, 11:00 AM Agree 0
    Hi Tanya, I'm not sure about your full situation or your credit situation. The bank will need to provide a pre-approval before you can do anything. A 20% deposit is a safer way to buy property as you are borrowing less and there is no need for mortgage insurance. You would need at least a 10% deposit typically to get a loan approval to purchase an investment property. On top of this you may need to borrow the mortgage insurance as the loan would be at 90% loan to value ratio (this cost could be a 3k or so) . Also you need to pay for stamp duty and legals. Depending in which state you buy in your could get a stamp duty rebate/concession. https://www.apps08.osr.nsw.gov.au/erevenue/calculators/newhomegrant.php . In any case make sure you get advice from an adviser or mortgage broker before you do anything as there a lot of things you need to learn before you commit to your first property. Hope this helps.
  • michael | 10 Nov 2013, 09:01 AM Agree 0
    HI Tanya
    I know of a builder in mackay doing great deals $35000 back on house and land packages at $495000 fully tenanted for 2 years at $540 per week.Which means you can actually make $75.00 per week cash flow positive. If you find a better deal let me know because I've done a lot of research.
  • Tanya | 13 Nov 2013, 11:32 AM Agree 0
    I live in melbourne so would much prefer doing it around the victoria region. But thankyou for that offer. I am still trying to get my head around everything as there is so much to know.
  • Tom | 16 Jun 2014, 05:44 PM Agree 0
    Tanya, it may be best to consult a good mortgage broker to help determine what you could potentially borrow. A gruarantee from your parents may also be necessary. A good mortgage broker will be able to advise you on this as well as set a suitable strategy for your investment property.

Cheers,
    Tom
Post a reply