Your Investment Property forum is the place for positive industry interaction and welcomes your professional and informed opinion.

Landlord discovers drug operation, gets arrested

Notify me of new replies via email
Your Investment Property | 12 Nov 2013, 12:00 AM Agree 0
A Melbourne landlord who reported police about a tenant growing a ‘sophisticated’ marijuana crop was later charged with fraudulently obtaining a mortgage
  • Me | 12 Nov 2013, 02:40 PM Agree 0
    This article was not written very well and I had to read it 3 or 4 times to make sense of it. I am assuming that Tran was not profitting from the marijuana crop and was only receiving rental income from the property. But once Tran did his civil duty and informed the police it was looked into how he could afford to pay the mortgage. Then the police et al assumed he was a bad guy and profitting from drug production because of the dodgy income statements to get the loan and thus he was prosecuted. WAY TO GO AUTHORITIES. Why would anyone in their right mind dob in a druggie in the future? Maybe Tran should have just evicted them via the usual channels and left it at that in order to protect himself. If the police want to find something or anything on someone they dont like, they will keep going at you. I have been in this situation, when I had to evict a tenant and I learned she was a well known ice user, but the cops still thought I was an evil witch because I was evicting her. The abuse (physical (one cop forcefully pushed my husband with the intent to harm him whilst he was changing the locks), verbal and emotional) we suffered from the police was not only illegal but made me consider how I operate my business. And the ensuing VCAT crap was hell! All because the tenant was a drug abuser and the cops hated me and decided to pick on me. 2014 will see both the coppers and VCAT taken to task on this, but in the mean time, this article just proves that maybe the best cause of action is none at all!
  • Troy | 12 Nov 2013, 07:31 PM Agree 0
    The police would not have been the ones to charge him with the offences. That would be a matter for the bank to persue civily since they entered into an agreement with the home owner. Despite his intentions of moving forward and having an investment property the fact that he informed police about the illegal activity in his house does not absolve him of guilt for knowlingly making a false document and applying for a loan along with the first home owners grant.
  • Greg | 15 Nov 2013, 09:48 AM Agree 0
    In Australia, no good deed goes un-punished... :D
Post a reply