Your Investment Property forum is the place for positive industry interaction and welcomes your professional and informed opinion.

Landlords lick their lips as rental demand surges

Notify me of new replies via email
Your Investment Property | 19 Jan 2012, 01:15 AM Agree 0
Rents have increased across the country as a result of greater competition for rental properties and a soft homebuyers market, according to a recent rental price index.
  • Bruce | 19 Jan 2012, 09:32 AM Agree 0
    Rising rents are also expected to bring first homebuyers back into the property market, from what I've read. This would mean a) rents may not continue to rise at the same rate, but - more importantly - b) we should see improved capital growth this year. Of course, this all depends on the worldwide economy not turning into armageddon out there!
  • Paul | 19 Jan 2012, 03:25 PM Agree 0
    Less than 1 week ago The Melbourne Herald Sun reported on a "Rental Property Glut". One 'Investor' was reportedly trying to find a tenant for $275 and said he faced up to $700 a week in holding costs while the house was empty.
  • Bruce | 20 Jan 2012, 12:36 PM Agree 0
    Wow. The article does just relate to western Melbourne though. A 22% vacancy rate sounds crazy.
  • Tony | 10 Feb 2012, 05:50 PM Agree 0
    At the moment we are facing a crisis in Housing affordability, it's not just the cost of buying a house, it's also the cost of renting !. In my area there are plenty of properties for sale or lease, at least one in every street as you walk around ... But the prices would be farcical if it wasn't so serious !!. Where are people supposed to live ??. This situation is not good for anybody, not Investors looking for a property to buy, not Tennants looking for somewhere to live and not people looking to buy a house. So who benifits ??. I'll let you think about that !!!.
Post a reply