Your Investment Property forum is the place for positive industry interaction and welcomes your professional and informed opinion.

Landscaping

Notify me of new replies via email
| 18 Jan 2012, 04:50 AM Agree 0

Hi there. I was wondering if anyone has experience in how much a good garden landscaping job can add value to a property. The garden at my property is a good useable space, but could do with paving/decking and a general once-over. Is it worth getting this done, or will the money I spend not be worth it for the added value?
  • Jamie M | 09 Feb 2012, 06:50 AM Agree 0
    Landscaping can help – but I doubt that it provides much bang for you buck. Professional landscapers aren’t cheap. Are there other improvements you can make at less of a cost that will provide a better result? Such as new paint, flooring, etc?

Cheers

Jamie
  • PropertyInvestor | 24 Mar 2012, 06:33 AM Agree 0
    Don't go overboard on landscaping - valuers don't take landscaping much into consideration. It comes back to the basics - location and house size and quality. Gardens can come and go.
  • josiph | 01 May 2012, 09:08 AM Agree 0
    Garden landscaping job is very good job to increase your property value according to many aspect...........
  • adivol | 13 Jul 2012, 11:50 AM Agree 0
    Since you have a lot of space then you should take advantage of that space by building a garden landscaping not only it adds a value to your property but also attracts users.

• EllenTYH | 16 Jul 2012, 02:30 PM Agree 0
    Depends if you're adding value to sell for a profit or to keep & tenant it.

If selling, to determine whether it's worthwhile, you'll need to do some ground work/research to see if landscaping is an expectation in your suburb by keeping an eye on open homes, what sells/doesn't sell, find out the price difference between the ones that sell well which have landscaping features and the ones that dont. Basic low maintenance, modern landscaping can add appeal & possibly emotional value to the sale price.

A quicker way is also to ask 3 - 5 real estate agents on their opinion as well. Local real estate agents are a great source of information when it comes to knowing what the buyers in your area looking for.

If tenanting, I would just keep it neat & tidy and leave out anything too fancy that will require extra maintenance which = extra ongoing costs for you as the landlord.

Either way, spend as little as possible as you can on it. Gardens/lawns should be neat but landscaping is usually a low priority item.

Good luck!
Post a reply