Your Investment Property forum is the place for positive industry interaction and welcomes your professional and informed opinion.

Mentoring Program?

Notify me of new replies via email
| 27 Jul 2012, 03:49 AM Agree 0

Just wondering if anyone out there that is using or has used a mentoring program for investing? If so, how is it working for you? Seem expensive however making a mistake while investing could cost allot more.
  • Eos Property | 28 Jul 2012, 05:44 AM Agree 0
    Hi Cranic,

Can't pass on any feedback about anyone or any group.

If you proceed down this path make sure you have done some of your own research so you know what it is you want to achieve. Your mentor will need to understand what you want to achieve and should know how you will best achieve your goals.

The old saying round peg and square holes applies to property mentors too.
  • strohbeck | 28 Jul 2012, 01:43 PM Agree 0
    Hi Cranic,

Not sure what type of property strategy you are after and which programs you already know about. I like Dymphna Boholt (broad spectrum) and you can check her out in a free one day seminar. So far I have taken two free seminars but I am still keeping my fists tight. You learn a lot, but if you want to get the study and mentoring program then you are looking at $5000.- This seems to be typical for many Guru programs. I know Dymphna has students all over Australia who are doing quite well. I believe most of the people who will commit to a steep learning curve and hard work will succeed in getting well ahead with her coaching.
    Normal distribution(Gaussian)however teaches us that the majority of investors and seminar attendants will stay in a comfort zone.

I have some more info on Gurus on my site

Dymphna's next tour is in August. Here is the link with a banner to sign up. I got it through Knowledge source, but the banner also shows up in targeted ads for example on

Cheers Wal

posted at
  • cranic | 30 Jul 2012, 07:09 AM Agree 0
    Thanks for the info Wal.
    From what they say the mentoring programs have a lot of successful clients, you would just think that clients would recommend them?
  • strohbeck | 30 Jul 2012, 07:43 AM Agree 0
    Hi Cranic,

Dymphna's active clients do recommend her programs, but I presume that your point is why can't I find them in the forums ?
    Most meet face to face and don't join public forums, cause they network inside the group and in insider forums.
    I met her students at third party events as well as her own events. She had about 75 students in the VIP lounge last time I attended, which was 6 weeks ago. Having said that normal distribution suggests that the majority of seminar attendees do actually very little with the content any seminar. You didn't say what sort of investment model you are after ? Maybe you prefer the Reno Queen Cherie Barber, she has signed about 1500 students(2010)and has a very high media profile.
    She was just on public TV last week.

• addicted | 31 Jul 2012, 12:27 PM Agree 0
    Adding to what's been said- you need to be ready - Lead the horse to water and all that!.

AND the program needs to be suitable to YOUR predicament and risk profile. Just doing ANY mentoring course won't work.

I don't know exact facts and figures but I think out of all those that do these power worekshops and the like, 10% do something and only 10% of those actually make a good go at it. So the odds are not in your favour.
    Of course you can increase your chance of success by knowing what you want (goals), how you want to get there (strategy) and THEN finding the right mentor to help you get there.
    I know that's what you are trying to do here with your post.

I looked at a few programs but in the end found a group and then met lots of like minded people. And went from there. Glad I didn't pay for a mentoring program in the end.

Find a group near where you live. Go to meetings, seminars etc and talk to people. It always surprises me how hundreds of people go to seminars and 99% do not talk to anyone. My only guess would be that they think the only valuable info comes from the person on the stage. Maybe they think everyone in the audience is a novice like themselves? Who knows?

Hint- when/if they ask "who has more than one property?" Talk to those people. By talking to others you can see how "they" did it. It may just be the strategy that suits you. If not, you may make a new like minded friend. I've made some great friends by saying hi to someone at a seminar.
  • Eos Property | 01 Aug 2012, 01:10 AM Agree 0

On top of Addicted's comments I also recommend you get educated yourself. I don't mean that as a negative comment but more to make sure you are in a position to detect BS comments if/when they are made.

I would see mentoring as a process to round the edges rather than being the whole journey.
  • cranic | 01 Aug 2012, 01:42 AM Agree 0
    Hi Addicted, Thanks for your feedback, I always find your posts and replies interesting and informative. 
    I can see that their strategies and goals are quite achievable however as you say it is only 10% of clients who achieve the results? I have been searching the internet trying to find more info about the company that I am interested in and I have found very little, good or bad which surprised me a bit.  The money to join this program is quite a lot especially for the target audience of mum and dad investors (like myself) so I would think if someone was unhappy with the service that they would let it be known and likewise in  reverse, I know if I could achieve the results they say I would be singing their praise's.
    Unfortunately where I live we don't often get property seminars, not like the capitals cities. So I'm still looking for those like minded people I do get on the forums from time to time and have picked up some good info along the way . I  Do think it's strange how you ask a question on the forums and lots of people look at your post however you don't get many replies.  Is this because most people don't know or they don't want to give the wrong advise or trolling the forums for information only? 
    Anyway I have digressed from the point. We presently have three investment properties, two in a mining town and one on the coast and not to far off buying another two. The investments we have could of been set up better mainly because of the professionasl we have used eg mortgage brokers, accountant and financial advises probably the most important part of a investment strategy. We are still not 100% happy with the professionals we use.  The properties we have are good investments tho we could of bought better. So I was thinking that the mentoring program could put me in touch  with like minded people, connect me with the right professionals to maximize our potential  and also help us find the best possible properties to suit our strategies.  Or is it to good to be true?
  • addicted | 02 Aug 2012, 07:30 AM Agree 0
    Yes it can be frustrating waiting for responses sometimes.
    There are a lot of advertisers and people making ridiculous, useless comments on this forum which is frustrating.

Try for a much busier forum (hopefully this doesn't get deleted before you see it).
    I can't find a way to message privately on here either.
  • cranic | 02 Aug 2012, 09:31 AM Agree 0
    Cheers mate
Post a reply