Your Investment Property forum is the place for positive industry interaction and welcomes your professional and informed opinion.

Moving back into Investment property

Notify me of new replies via email
Cindy | 19 Aug 2013, 06:24 PM Agree 0
Hi there,

Hoping someone can answer my question.

I have an Investment property and used around 70K equity in this property to buy the house I live (so my loan increased by 70K). I didn't realise the tax implication of this and found out later that I could not get a tax offset on the interest on the 70K, only the original loan amount. I'm wondering if I move back into the property for a few years and then rent it out again can I then use the interest generated on the full loan amount (including the 70K) to get a tax offset?

Thanks for you time :)
  • Eos Property | 19 Aug 2013, 08:47 PM Agree 0
    Hi Cindy,

The problem you have is that you have now mixed the purpose/s of your loan/s. This means part of your loan will remain undeductible forever unless you restructure your loans.

You may be able to retrieve the situations through a splitting of existing loans process.

I would suggest you find yourself a decent accountant and ask about splitting your existing loan into two parts; one for the investment property and the other for your home. Armed with your accountants approval (or not) then approach your broker to see if they can help.

• Cindy | 20 Aug 2013, 10:52 AM Agree 0
    Thanks for replying to my question.

I was already looking into having a separate loan for the non investmnet property portion of the loan and my bank was willing to do this but then I started thinking I might be best to live in the property again as my PPR and then rent it out after a few years.

I rang the ATO and explained the situation that 70K was used for non investment property purposes and that I would move back into the property for a few years and then rent it out again. They said I would be able to claim a tax offset on the interest on the whole loan when I rented the property out again? Because I gather the property is being converted from a PPR to an investment property again at the time.

I'll contact my accountant to see what they say.
Post a reply