Your Investment Property forum is the place for positive industry interaction and welcomes your professional and informed opinion.

Nathan Birch crowned runner up Investor of the Year

Notify me of new replies via email
Your Investment Property | 17 Feb 2013, 12:00 AM Agree 0
A $10m portfolio, 72 properties and $700,000 in rental income – all started with a $30,000 wage at age 18. Meet Australia’s new property titan
  • Luke woollard | 18 Feb 2013, 06:20 PM Agree 0
    I wear thongs and tshirt too. Can i come work for you Nathan?
  • Dom Stanuga | 19 Feb 2013, 02:18 PM Agree 0
    Nathan's hard work and financial discipline is a true inspiration for me.
    Like his mates, I too have been spending my money on holidays and partying.
    I'm fast approaching 30 and have nothing to show for the last 10 years of work and study.
  • Socrates | 19 Feb 2013, 03:10 PM Agree 0
    Well done. A quick saying, to make money you must understand it first.
  • murray | 19 Feb 2013, 04:34 PM Agree 0
    Nathan, WELL done young with dream an passion ,which did not get taken away,i am 60
    have 2 places in NZ have lived in WA auss, but wish i did this early, it is still in proportion

WELL DONE
  • Rob | 19 Feb 2013, 04:44 PM Agree 0
    fantastic story about ambition and determination. I am approaching 60 and yes made some poor investment decisions. Still time for redemption and your story has me inspired. I wish all young people could read your story and learn. Well done. I wish i was 25 again!!
  • Anne Morelli | 24 Feb 2013, 01:17 PM Agree 0
    Congrats Nathan, as a previous runner up, I can appreciated the effort you had to put in. I also remember the day I walked away from my 'proper day job' and how concerned and stunned my workmates were..they never really got their head around my vision, although I always talked about what I was doing whenever I got the opportunity! I had that vision at your age too, but made bad choices of partners and lost the lot twice. So choice of partner is important, as is structuring the right legal ownership of your assets. Being an ethical investor will reward you in the most amazing ways too.Cheers, Anne Morelli
  • Francis | 11 Mar 2013, 02:33 PM Agree 0
    What a great story Nathan. You said you were not the smartest guy. But Hey anybody who can accumulate a $10 million property portfolio and at only 28 is a very, very smart guy in my book. I note that you said the one thing you had that a lot of other young men didn't was passion. And may I add the perseverance and sheer determination to achieve your goals. Congratulations Nathan.
  • Mick | 30 Jan 2014, 07:48 AM Agree 0
    So. Did you continue to work or not when you bought your first property? i.e When did you stop your full time job?
    • Charles | 21 Sep 2015, 03:16 PM Agree 0
      Unless you could borrow only a small (or no) mortgage, I think it would be very hard (or impossible) to find a property where the rent is higher than the mortgage, rates, water bills and maintenance, to give you profit and allow you to quit your job.
  • Bill | 02 Apr 2014, 09:55 AM Agree 0
    Nathan is not telling the truth, many that worked with him know him all to well!
  • OZDeveloper | 20 May 2015, 11:37 AM Agree 0
    Nathan is a fraud and should be investigated for dodgy dealing and valuations on his own properties. he should be fined and shut down. and while their at it they should investigate more in to his dodgy dealing through westpac.
  • SydBuyer | 20 May 2015, 11:43 AM Agree 0
    I would have to agree with the above 2 comments,

i have heard a lot of stories from people that have either worked or dealt with him and they have all warned to stay away, as a lot of his business is not legit
    • ethical investor | 23 May 2015, 11:29 PM Agree 0
      I concur. Stay away. You have been warned!
  • ethical Investor | 23 May 2015, 11:26 PM Agree 0
    Always take everything with a grain of Salt. Be wary of those who promise to build a portfolio within a rapid period of Time. I have used binvested before and would never recommend their services unless you the buyer are comfortable. Do your researproperties with what's on offer. I ended up selling the properties bought of them. manipulating dodgy desktop valuations to get ahead isn't a great Strategy. You may get burnt...
    • Trev | 09 Jul 2015, 09:07 PM Agree 0
      Hi guys

How is a fake valuation even possible?

I have been thinking of using these guys
  • Charles | 21 Sep 2015, 03:00 PM Agree 0
    Why is this website giving Nathan around $5500 in prizes when the point of the article is he's already "winning" with his property portfolio? Instead, give the prizes to his tenants. There are things that obviously don't really add up with all the hype over equity-based million dollar property portfolios. What if interest rates increase into double digits, as they did in the 1980s? What if there's an earthquake or something that requires expensive building repairs? How does someone buy 50 to 150 properties all below market value? Are there that many people who sell their home below market value? How could he be so sure interest rates would lower? Banks would be very shrewd. Does Nathan OWN his property portfolio, or does he manage this property portfolio for the real owner, the bank, especially if he has interest only mortgages? These days there's plenty to read on the internet about how easy it is to become an investor like Nathan, with a large property portfolios- it's fashionable, like 4WDs lol. One parting note- a person's value is not based on how much money they have.

• Julie | 21 Sep 2015, 03:25 PM Agree 0
    The calculations in the article say that after mortgage payments, Nathan's left with $200,000 income. What about all the other costs of owning a property? What is the total value of council rates for every single unit, house or other property in his possession? Does that come out of his $200,000?
Post a reply