Your Investment Property forum is the place for positive industry interaction and welcomes your professional and informed opinion.

Popular property forum to close

Notify me of new replies via email
Your Investment Property | 22 Jun 2015, 06:53 AM Agree 0
One of Australia’s best known on-line property forums, Somersoft, is set to close
  • Adrian | 22 Jun 2015, 11:41 AM Agree 0
    It's a shame they had to close but I don't think it had anything to do with the cost of running it which would be negligible (maybe $2,000 - $4,000 per annum). The Somers have made a lot of money through property investing and can easily afford to keep it open so I think there's other reasons behind the closure.
    • Simon | 10 Aug 2015, 11:12 AM Agree 0
      Actually Adrian - your guess as to the costs of _hosting_ the site are not far off (closer to $5,000 per annum) - and indeed The Somers would never have a problem meeting those costs. However, that fails to take into account the cost of administration and management of the site - people are expensive and the site has been professionally operated on their behalf for the past 8 years. So you're at least an order of magnitude off the actual running costs for the site.

I can assure you that it really was costs which lead to the decision.
  • Jenny L | 22 Jun 2015, 10:44 PM Agree 0
    Sorry to see Somersoft close down. I think that leaves Australian Property Forum as the longest running real estate discussion forum in Australia? I wonder if this means the housing bubble is close to bursting? Scary though!
    • Simon | 10 Aug 2015, 11:16 AM Agree 0
      Actually, Steve McKnight's site has been around since the early 2000's ... although it has gone through a few iterations over the years.

Although it's not purely real estate - InvestEd also pre-dates APF by quite a few years.
  • Jim | 23 Jun 2015, 04:16 PM Agree 0
    It was a good forum except at the end hijacked by a few who ganged up on anyone who expressed anything that they did not like. I stop posting on any forum now.
  • Jean | 23 Jun 2015, 05:35 PM Agree 0
    A new one property chat has been started up being run by Sim who was one of the main guys that kept Somersoft running for the Somers. Early days yet but a lot of members have migrated over to it from Somersoft. It is going to be run a little different still free but you can now also advertise on it at a fee.

Looking good so far no doubt there will be a few tweak's along the way, all the main finance guys and girls are there to answer your questions. So may be the end for one but the beginning of another.
    • Simon | 10 Aug 2015, 11:17 AM Agree 0
      Thanks Jean - the new site is going really well, just hit 40,000 posts and should pass 2,500 members today, only 52 days after launching!
Post a reply