Your Investment Property forum is the place for positive industry interaction and welcomes your professional and informed opinion.

Port Hedland set for expansion

Notify me of new replies via email
Your Investment Property | 17 Feb 2012, 12:00 PM Agree 0
As Port Hedland’s harbour development passes two key milestones, speculation mounts that it will boost the local property market.
  • Gemma | 17 Feb 2012, 06:17 PM Agree 0
    Definitely. We bought for 740k in Sep 2011, rental was 1500 pw. Value now at 870k, rental 2000 pw. If you're not investing in Hedland, you're wasting your time. $1k per week positive cashflow after loan repayments for 1 property!
  • rs | 22 Jun 2012, 10:25 PM Agree 0
    Not at all, when the govt will oversupply the market with tens of thousands of lots and workers accommodation, I doubt it that this growth in property is sustainable. Just imagine when the mining finishes or China slows down who would like to live in these rough towns so far away from CBD and moreover no good educational insitututes nor universities. I hate the idea that 50,000 people will call Karratha or Hedland home if they no longer work in mining and earn huge salaries. ASk Brendon Grylls will he ever like to live in such towns?????I I believe he is waisting tax payers money in developing these dirt towns when there is no other potential other than just mining and that will end one day!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • Katie | 09 Jul 2012, 03:47 PM Agree 0
    Hopefully it will continue, I bought for 260,000 in 2005, now value is 850,000. Nowhere in WA could you get that return. Spending money on infrastructure will increase the livability of the town and attract more permanent residence. I think what alot of people forget is that Hedland has been mining for decades and decades. Its not just going to run out of resources and dissolve. If China stops buying there is a line of other countries waiting to buy. Good investment if you can afford the prices now. Article in West Australian a couple of months back saying that median rent will be around $4000 by 2014
  • brett | 02 Aug 2013, 03:49 AM Agree 0
    any thoughts on the service worker accomodation in south hedland such as the osprey key worker village is this development or others like it going to have an impact on rental yields beyond 2013 any thoughts would be appreciated as i am wanting to invest in south hedland. thanks
  • Patrick | 08 Aug 2013, 11:43 PM Agree 0
    A little background first- until very recently rents in the town were approaching $4000 pw. The net effect of this was to make small business unaffordable and basic services extraordinarily expensive. In essence the
    situation was unsustainable and drove many locals from town.
    The Shire growth plan projects the town population to grow from 15,000 to 50,000 by 2031 and to achieve this the town needs to become sustainable - providing affordable housing for service workers and small business operators and workers. The Osprey land release ( 1000 blocks) will have some impact on the local market, it's hard to know how much at this stage. With the long term demand for the for the dirt that ships out of the town predicted to remain high for the next 10-15 years at least, and the historical data showing rental returns have always achieved around the 10% mark since the 60s - it's hard to see that trend being altered significantly any time soon.
  • Patrick | 11 Aug 2013, 01:03 AM Agree 0
    In addition several of the worker camps/villages in the area are rumoured to be closing soon which will move some into the housing market. Meanwhile the Roy Hill mine is now gearing up and will cause some renewed activity in the local housing market soon. Some of these workers will be accommodated in worker villages but there will be a knock on effect through the market when the contracts are awarded.
  • Patrick | 17 Sep 2013, 04:24 PM Agree 0
    Brett,
    any luck with your research?
    I have an entry level property idea for you in SH. Brand new 2x2 which will give you 140k instant equity as developer is looking to do a little profit sharing for the first 4 sold. Best opportunity for SH I have seen
    in several years, def worth some diligence.
    Email me for more info- or anyone else interested.
  • karl | 17 Oct 2013, 02:39 AM Agree 0
    only fools would be buying in port hedland,a fool and his money are quickly parted as the old saying goes-im a property investor and i can clearly see hundreds of houses in the last few months have been dumped on the market..i have lived in these dumps befor and have seen houses go from 25k to 700k in a short few years in mining towns back to 25k
  • karl | 17 Oct 2013, 03:29 AM Agree 0
    well i suppose a lot of u property experts will be asking me to show u examples-well i can start in a mining town i grew up in called dysart located in central queensland and its been a known fact for at least the past 30 years that there is enough coal there to supply the world for 500 hundred years just like port hedland is for iron ore when i left there in 94 u couldnt give away a house there..then from 2004 to 20010 houses went from 25 grand to over 600 -now people cant even offload for 200 000 and the prices are falling every month-a 4 bedroom went for 80 last month.i bet in 5 years u can pick 1 up for 10 grand---the moral of the story is never pay more then 30k for a mining town house-it doesnt matter even if it cost 1 million to build its only worth what people are willing to pay for in a downturn that when u know its true value because a boom is only ever tempory..dont be the last fool holding the bag..ps by the way i dont know where people get this dilussion that customers are linning up for our iron ore and coal?indonesia exports more coal then oz ,india is a exporter of iron ore,mongolia has bigger reserves of iron ore and is closer to china-do yr own research
  • karl | 17 Oct 2013, 04:04 AM Agree 0
    i have made several hundred thousands from property only because i have known when to get out-i have sold to a lot of johnny come latlys,i made sure never to be the last fool holding the bag.i can see port hedland and south hedland getting smashed in the next few years..i can see perth being hit hard as well as the influx from other states slow down massively,what a lot of people dont realize without a trade it is very hard to get a start in miining i know because i have been in minning for over 25 years.the housing vacancy rates are building up quickly in perth already some areas as high as 10%--go have a look at the area code 6000 )always do yr own research and dont rely on housing agents..most of these aquisions are done by investors selling to investors and not first home buyers thats how housing around the world collapsed..its only a matter of time now befor a major correction.if i have saved 1 person from jumping in and loosing their life savings my job is done..and if u have already bought---get out and sell it befor yr the last fool standing
Post a reply