Your Investment Property forum is the place for positive industry interaction and welcomes your professional and informed opinion.

Property manager tries to clean out investor

Notify me of new replies via email
Your Investment Property | 05 Dec 2012, 02:00 PM Agree 0
Think your property manager is a useless rotter? Spare a thought for WA investor Bronwyn Holmes who says she’s had to deal with levels of incompetence that go beyond belief
  • Fiona's | 06 Dec 2012, 01:17 PM Agree 0
    Wow, you poor buggar!! I would have hit the roof, and then some! I am assuming you have reported their slackness to the WAREI. My god, you wonder how this idiot has kept her job!! It appears to be an industry that attracts the not-very-smart, with no pro activity in their blood. I hope you can sort this out. If it were me I would sell it and buy something back in Perth where you can keep an eye on them.
  • Cheryl | 06 Dec 2012, 01:27 PM Agree 0
    As a (reluctant) tenant in Port Hedland and I own 9 investment properties in other parts of Australia I have seen first hand the complete incompetence of property managers in Port Hedland - I could probably guess at which one you are talking about but they really are all as bad as each other, with rents at around $3000/week and incredibly high management costs - i would certainly recommend any investor manage their own properties here. The cost savings are enormous and quite frankly any average 10 year old could do a better job than the property managers here.
  • Sarah | 06 Dec 2012, 02:34 PM Agree 0
    I work in the industry and have the unique perspective of also being an investor as well.

Sounds like you need to report your property manager to REIWA if you haven't already or at least bring it to the attention of the principal. Property managers are supposed to act in your best interests when maintaining the property and it looks like yours certainly isn't. the fact that she tried to charge you for tenant damage shows she has no idea of the rules and regulations and this certainly needs to be addressed.

It also sounds like the calibre of the tradespeople that they are using is quite poor. I would look into which groups are reputable trades people and get it noted on your file your preferred suppliers so they don't use anyone shonky.
  • Lindsay Pelser | 06 Dec 2012, 03:02 PM Agree 0
    Wow wow wow, a price of a new ac for the whole home would not be more than 6,000 we could fly there install new and be out at half the cost.
    Shame it sounds like the repair companies are mining gold.labour should not be more than 18o per hour.
    Drop us a line for your next quote we are consulting engineers
    Regards
    Lindsay@iaqconsulting.net
  • Mim | 06 Dec 2012, 03:36 PM Agree 0
    Look no one wants to be fleeced for maintenance and in that respect I can identify with Bronwyn. However, the lowest quote of $4000 seems exorbitant and the $15000 quote is completely ludicrous- why didn't she hop on a plane and go check things out in person?? If you are prepared to pay so much for a property and $130 for the agent to furnish quotes then a plane ticket to WA is not only affordable, but a reasonable precaution given the suspicious circumstances with repairs. Whilst I have had overpriced quotes too, I cannot understand why Bronwyn persisted with this agent? Reminder to us all to take personal responsibility to check out your asset and agent if in doubt about either and never leave its safekeeping entirely in their hands- property is not a "set and forget" investment.
  • Pascoe | 06 Dec 2012, 07:50 PM Agree 0
    Looks like the tradespeople up there are also cashing in on the mining boom. They probably think, if the miners are getting big bucks and the landlord is getting big rents than why shouldn't they.
    Needless to say, the property manager needs a rocket up her arse. I wouldn't mind flying over to Port Hedland and being the firer.
  • Jason | 06 Dec 2012, 10:00 PM Agree 0
    We don't call them property managers here in port Hedland we call Them all thieves . Manage your own property up this way if you don't want to be robbed .
  • Jenny | 06 Dec 2012, 10:20 PM Agree 0
    Please report to the ombudsman of that state. That 'property manager' needs to have her licence cancelled. I'm an investor in Melbourne and I'm in the process of getting a 'property manager' dismissed for similar incompetance. We pay good commission for these bastards to look after our investments and we got sweet nothing. Investors should notify such mismanagment to their principal, the ombudsman and the BLA....then and only then will these things called 'management agents' take notice!
  • Phil | 13 Dec 2012, 10:35 AM Agree 0
    Its interesting to note that you people are having a whinge re the costs of maintenance people, what you are forgetting is that these people that charge $100/hour also have to pay the ridiculous rents, $1 100/week for a 30 year sh*t hole 1 bedroom unit that anywhere else in the country would be condemned, why are they sh*t holes?, because a lot of greedy investors wont spend any money on the maintenance just want to rip out profits!!
Post a reply