Your Investment Property forum is the place for positive industry interaction and welcomes your professional and informed opinion.

Q&A: Tax implications of moving into an investment property

Notify me of new replies via email
Your Investment Property | 09 Sep 2011, 12:00 AM Agree 0
We are considering moving into our investment property to cut our spending and improve our short-term savings. What are the tax implications of this?
  • Kelly | 14 Feb 2012, 05:10 PM Agree 0
    What happens if you buy a new property, move in for a year, then lease it for 4 years before moving back in. Can you negative gear that four years of lease?
  • YIP | 15 Feb 2012, 08:39 AM Agree 0
    Thanks for your question Kelly. If you'd like to email your question to editor@yipmag.com.au, the team can take a look at passing it on to one of our tax experts to find an answer for you.

• Lez | 31 Jul 2012, 11:13 PM Agree 0
    I have a home of my own and a rental property, the rental property has been rented from when I purchased it 5 years ago.
    I now wish to move into the rental property to do renovations and live there for approx 3 years while my children (Adults) live in my home rent free (Moving also for work reasons) both properties are in Adelaide and was not sure how it would affect or how I can calculate my capital gains tax?
  • Robbie | 12 May 2013, 08:37 AM Agree 0
    I am looking at purchasing as investment property with a family member and borrowing funds in a j joint ownership arrangement 50 / 50 each.

This investment will be rented for 6 months, then our intent is for the Familiy member to move in and live in this investment.

What are the implications for myself, can I claim any investment considerations , negative gear with no rental income.

Thanks
  • gary | 30 Aug 2013, 12:02 AM Agree 0
    I bought a rental property in may 2002 and have rented it ever since, I want to move into my rental propery in 2014, and live there for about 3-4 years, what CGT would I pay if i sold it in 2017.
  • Suzana | 17 Oct 2013, 02:48 PM Agree 0
    Hi

We had investment property that was rented for 7 years before we moved in it and now is our Principal residence ..Now due to relocation for work we need to move out and rent the property again and we need to rent interstate. I was wondering as we dont have any other property can we still treat this house as our main residency for capital gain and get the 6 yrs exemption???
  • Ian Corser | 16 Nov 2016, 03:55 PM Agree 0
    I have had a rental property for 20 years, I am thinking of knocking it down and building a new home for my wife and I to move into, what would be my tax implications?
Post a reply