Your Investment Property forum is the place for positive industry interaction and welcomes your professional and informed opinion.

Qld government wages war on property investors

Notify me of new replies via email
Your Investment Property | 19 Jun 2012, 12:00 AM Agree 0
The Queensland government has earmarked property investors as one of its key targets to squeeze for income as part of its efforts to salvage the state’s fiscal woes, says the state’s real estate institute.
  • Mich | 19 Jun 2012, 07:36 PM Agree 0
    We have rental properties in 3 states - our qld one is certainly the worst for extra costs and charges. Will be doing a lot more research and asking questions about hidden costs if i was to buy in qld again.
  • Sylvia Leveris Walton | 19 Jun 2012, 08:26 PM Agree 0
    I live in the northern
    Brisbane area in Caboolture and noticing that the rental market is drying up for cheaper properties and if the trend continues that investors are not investing in this area than the rents would become to expensive for this area making the affordability to rent hard seeing more homeless people it's hard as this is a low income area. Government needs more housing for the affordability scheme they should give more incentives to investors other wise it's going to be very hard to get low cost rent. Don't take the incentive's away from investors. We need them.
  • Megs | 20 Jun 2012, 09:46 AM Agree 0
    This is ridiculous - it will be devastating for the QLD property market if it goes ahead. It's just one more reason for people to NOT invest in qld, which is exactly what we don't need! I own 4 properties in the state and I'm already slugged with higher council rates simply for being an investor (when I bought six years ago they were $700 per half year - now they are double that amount!) And to add insult to injury, no capital growth due to GFC and floods. Makes me wonder, what's the point?
  • Jon Colley | 20 Jun 2012, 04:08 PM Agree 0
    If the State Government wants to introduce more costs and levy's to investors in Qld then ultimately it could result in far less properties available for rent, and ultimately a greater need for public housing in this area as investors will go elsewhere to maximise returns. This is not the ideal outcome for anyone and will ultimately result in more costs to many of those that need the most help, the renters themselves. As they have proven with everything they do, the government will never be able to deliver a service as cost effectively as private enterprise/investors.
  • Jon Colley | 20 Jun 2012, 04:08 PM Agree 0
    If the State Government wants to introduce more costs and levy's to investors in Qld then ultimately it could result in far less properties available for rent, and ultimately a greater need for public housing in this area as investors will go elsewhere to maximise returns. This is not the ideal outcome for anyone and will ultimately result in more costs to many of those that need the most help, the renters themselves. As they have proven with everything they do, the government will never be able to deliver a service as cost effectively as private enterprise/investors.
  • Mark | 29 Feb 2016, 06:43 PM Agree 0
    I own an investment property in Cleveland QLD. I am currently being slugged with $950/quarter, while I kept the rental constant for the last 6 years. If this is "investment in Queensland" then I am already making my mind up and I will put this property in the market, I am not going to invest again in Queensland.
Post a reply