Your Investment Property forum is the place for positive industry interaction and welcomes your professional and informed opinion.

refinance ppor home loan and purchase investment property

Notify me of new replies via email
Vish | 06 Sep 2013, 02:09 PM Agree 0
Hi,

I am aware that many people would have asked the same question in the past but I am still not clear on this and will appreciate your opinion.

In a nutshell, i am planning to refinance my PPOR and use the additional funds (i.e. cashout component) to buy another investment property.

My existing homeloan: $250,000

Current valuation of house: $425,000

Refinance based on 80%: $340,000

Ask the new lender to split the loan in two:

First loan: $250,000 (principle and interest)

second loan: $90,000 (interest only)

Initially i will advise lender to park the cashout component (i.e. $90,000
in second loan)

In the next few months, I will buy an investment property and that is when, I will withdraw funds from second loan ($90,000) and use them to purchase the new property.

I am thinking about doing this because then i can clearly show that $90,000 was used to generate income and hence I can claim tax deduction for interest paid on that amount.

Thanks,
  • Eos Property | 08 Sep 2013, 11:20 AM Agree 0
    Hi Vish,

Not a broker.

If you haven't already done so grab yourself a broker and get them to help you through/check your plans. Often brokers can understand your bigger picture and will work with you to help you reach your goals - whereas a bank is more interested in looking after their shareholders interests.

In answer to your original question - you have pretty well nailed it.

Just to clarify a couple of points - your $90K can reside in a line of credit type facility. Other than initial set up costs and while no funds are drawn this type of structure remains cost free.

The $90K can provide funds for deposit and purchasing costs towards the next purchase. Notionally I allow around 5% of total purchase price for costs and then another 5, 10 or 20% for your deposit.

The balance of the loan can be provided by a different lender. In some respects this can be advisable as you spread your security amongst different lenders.

Hope this helps.
Post a reply