Your Investment Property forum is the place for positive industry interaction and welcomes your professional and informed opinion.

Rental unaffordability is threatening more Aussies with homelessness

Notify me of new replies via email
Michael Mata | 23 Nov 2016, 12:00 AM Agree 0
People in Australia’s lowest income households are being pushed out of the rental market, with many succumbing to poverty and homelessness
  • Kim Butler | 26 Nov 2016, 06:50 AM Agree 0
    I pay $500 per week. I live in Merrylands.
    The unit I live in is not even worth the value of money I pay. The unit sits above busy Woodville Road has many cracks in the walls from the Buliding movement from the on going traffic.. Not to mention the noise and the Car and Truck pollution my family inhales everyday.
    There's no Airflow or extractors in the dark dingy bathrooms so the mould grows out of control. We have no roof covering the out door balcony, so when there's high winds dangerously pieces of my out door furniture have been picked up by the wind and hurled onto the busy highway . I'm grateful no one has been Killed. Our bottom basement floods regularly and there are seriously bad Mosquitos .
    We are a two income couple that have to live week to week, it's very hard to put money away just to save for a bond to move out to somewhere more pleasant and healthier.
    I think that a lot of landlords and Realitys are letting their long term good honest on time rent paying tenants down.
    Stricter laws should apply to these people regarding letting ou the properties. It should be mandontry to paint all units with mould/antibacterial paint inside. All balconies should be Enviromently and child friendly. Must supply Spilt air conditioning and air purifying . Every block if units containing 40 or more flats should have a pool/Gym and a garden with a play area for Children.
  • Rosie | 02 Dec 2016, 01:56 PM Agree 0
    $500 per week is a lot for what you're describing! I believe the Housing Authority has a bond assistance scheme that might be of help to you? Eligibility criteria are here http://www.housing.wa.gov.au/housingoptions/rentaloptions/bondassistance/eligibility/Pages/default.aspx
    • Rosie | 02 Dec 2016, 03:45 PM Agree 0
      Sorry, just realised this is WA only. But there should be something similar in VIC :)
Post a reply