Your Investment Property forum is the place for positive industry interaction and welcomes your professional and informed opinion.

Renting room by room: your path to power profits?

Notify me of new replies via email
Your Investment Property | 22 Nov 2011, 12:00 AM Agree 0
There’s no denying that a multiple occupancy property has its hassles – but could it be a ticket to positive cash flow and strong capital growth? Your Investment Property uncovers the secrets
  • ROSANNA CUMMINS | 06 May 2014, 09:48 PM Agree 0
    How do I get to read the real life story of Jemma Lane mentioned in the article by Ashley Fallon on multiple room letting and getting insurance?
  • matt | 03 Sep 2014, 05:31 PM Agree 0
    Multiple occupancy dwellings - especially more than one occupant per room - are an increasing problem in Australia and it HAS to stop. Why?

(1) It drives up rents.
    (2) It rips people off (most are foreigners often paying the same amount to share a room that they might pay for a room of their own)
    (3) Its a burden on local services and a pain to neighbours. (6 people in a 2 b/r flat next door gets pretty old pretty quickly - as do the overflowing bins!)
    (4) There are safety issues too. In most EU countries, these places need to be registered as 'rooming houses', need fire doors and locks on every room, extinguishers etc and a lot of insurance.

I'm keen to start a campaign against this blight on our already moronically overpriced rental market.
    Who's with me? :-)
    • A man has no name | 18 Jun 2016, 02:34 PM Agree 0
      Regarding your first point, it would seem that permitting multiple people to live in a room would drive rents down, not up, due to supply and demand.

Second point, why would someone pay the same amount to share a room that they would pay for a single room elsewhere?

Third and fourth points, no argument.
  • Richard | 15 Jan 2016, 08:44 AM Agree 0
    Matt,

I'm NOT with you because there is a genuine need for this style of accommodation in Australia.

As of the last census date there were 105,237 people experiencing homelessness.

Just wondering please, how would you suggest we solve that problem?

Best Regards

Richard
  • nickg198 | 01 Mar 2016, 06:04 PM Agree 0
    A considerable lot of the proprietors of these lofts are generally away as they purchase them and rent them for speculation. Keeping in mind the end goal to accomplish this, large portions of these condo buildings will put the management rights available to be purchased, so that a man or an organization could deal with these flats.
  • Melissa Russo | 22 May 2016, 05:21 PM Agree 0
    We are currently setting up multiple dwelling but not share rooms. There is an increase need for affordable housing in Australia.
Post a reply