Your Investment Property forum is the place for positive industry interaction and welcomes your professional and informed opinion.

Room rentals

Notify me of new replies via email
Mari-Louise | 10 Jun 2016, 06:10 PM Agree 0
Good Day

I just want to find out I rent a room in a house with 3 other men. We all pay rent per room. I asked the landlord if my girlfriend can move in as she is a student.

They now expect my girlfriend to pay the same rent as we do per room where she is in fact staying in my room and doesn't have her own room. Does she need to pay this and not having a room but in fact sharing my room.

I can understand that she needs to pay her share of electricity and water but I don't see that she need to pay rent and not have her own room.

Thank you
  • Mary | 18 Jan 2017, 12:19 AM Agree 0
    My personal opinion: yes, your girlfriend has to pay rent, as she lives in property. However, I don’t think that she has to pay for the separate room. Offer your landlord to split a rent by square footage. Rent per square foot is calculated by dividing the rent amount by the number of square feet rented.
  • North Shore Realty Collaroy | 17 Feb 2017, 12:37 PM Agree 0
    Yes your girlfriend must pay rent, you have to take into account if this Landlord advertised the room to lease to a couple he would be able to ask for more rent, your partner came into the agreement after you moved in, she have to pay rent (or she will be a squatter), also remember there is extra wear and tear on the property and as you mention the utilities need to be paid.
  • peter | 17 Feb 2017, 02:27 PM Agree 0
    Since there is now 4 people in the house instead of 3, for the other 2 tenants , the house is now more crowded. It is unfair to the other 2 tenants, for there to be a forth person living in the house.
  • peter | 17 Feb 2017, 02:27 PM Agree 0
    Since there is now 4 people in the house instead of 3, for the other 2 tenants , the house is now more crowded. It is unfair to the other 2 tenants, for there to be a forth person living in the house.
Post a reply