Your Investment Property forum is the place for positive industry interaction and welcomes your professional and informed opinion.

‘Self-managing his property cost him $10,000’

Notify me of new replies via email
Your Investment Property | 10 Dec 2012, 04:33 PM Agree 0
Xenia Ioannou has worked with plenty of self-managed landlords who have turned to her for help after landing in sticky situations. This one was having a particularly tough time
  • Rick | 11 Dec 2012, 01:22 PM Agree 0
    What a load of rubbish. I'd like to know which sections of the Residential Tenancies Act the real estate agent claims were breached. Last time I checked, an air-conditioner wasn't considered an essential service and does not require immediate (or, in fact, ANY) repair. Making an agreement to reduce the rent in lieu of fixing an item such as an air-conditioner is acceptable. It does not seek to "evade the Act". The "knowledgeable" real estate agent conveniently leaves out detail such as whether or not the agreement was in writing....and other detail such as (1) Why did the tenant accept the $10 per week reduction, (2) why and how did the tenant then apply for a $30 per week reduction, (3) why did the tenant stay in a motel, (4) was the landlord aware and did the landlord agree to pay for a motel.
    Lastly, on what possible grounds can one person (ie. the new property owner) be legally responsible to pay the tenant compensation that the tenant claims is owed by another person (ie. the property owner at the time of the tenancy subject to the compensation claim) ???
    ItThis "story" is SO typical of what gives real estate agents a bad name....sensationalism, scare-mongering, scant detail, incorrect facts. Good one Xenia, you're an agent that obviously knows her stuff....NOT !!
  • Rick | 11 Dec 2012, 01:41 PM Agree 0
    Haha I agree with Rick. Why did they call the tenancy tribunal to check how much bond was lodged ? Bonds aren't even lodged with the tenancy tribunal. What the real estate agent is saying doesn't make sense. If this dispute went on for 2 and a half years, that seems ridiculous. The $4,000 in claimed rent reduction means she was claiming the same reduction during all the other months of the year, even when an air conditioner would not be used. This agent is either dumb, foolish or plainly making stuff up to scare people. Managing a property isn't hard but you do have to follow the rules.
  • Tuula | 11 Dec 2012, 02:54 PM Agree 0
    People, don't be fooled by this fear-mongering. I have saved myself thousands by managing my own properties. I have chosen this route after being badly burned by real estate agents.
  • Lexie | 11 Dec 2012, 03:36 PM Agree 0
    As a Landlord it is my understanding that anything that was in working order at the beginning of a lease must be maintained in working order whether it is an essential item or not.. It might be worth looking into this rule Rick.
  • Karen | 12 Dec 2012, 02:38 PM Agree 0
    Section 214 of the Residential Tenancies and Rooming Accommodation Act 2008 - Meaning of Emergency Repairs states - Emergency repairs are works needed to repair any of the
    following—(i) a failure or breakdown of an essential service or appliance on premises for hot water, cooking or heating; Depending on the temperature and weather conditions at the time, an air conditioner could be interpreted as an essential service. Mostly depends on the magistrate sitting on the day at the Tribunal.
  • Rick | 14 Dec 2012, 01:49 PM Agree 0
    Karen, you're quoting from a Queensland Act. The case that this real estate agent seems to be making up as she goes along is in Adelaide. The example cited is also clearly to do with cooling, not heating.
    Lexie, you're somewhat correct in your understanding of a landlord's obligations to repair, however that obligation is to keep the premises and ancillary property in a reasonable state of repair having regard to their age, character and prospective life. All we can do is make reasonable assumptions because the real estate agent has, as expected, left out so much detail. Maybe the air conditioner was so old it wasn't worth repairing ? My point is, we aren't told one way or another.
    My whole point was that this real estate agent, like so many of them, simply shot off at the mouth without thought or proper and full detail because she probably thought that would "scare people" into thinking they can't possibly manage their own property. I don't think I'm the first person to have walked away from a real estate agency shaking my head in disgust and saying "I couldn't possibly stuff up the management of my property as badly as they have".
    There are so many inconsistencies in the ridiculous story which the Alexa Real Estate principal, Xenia Ioannou, is claiming to be true - but as the old saying goes, "Never let the facts stand in the way of a story".
  • PioneerTraining | 21 Mar 2014, 05:01 PM Agree 0
    You show very latest and important things. This is very good post! I will bookmark this blog.
Post a reply