Your Investment Property forum is the place for positive industry interaction and welcomes your professional and informed opinion.

Should I subdivide and build?

Notify me of new replies via email
Your Investment Property | 21 Jun 2012, 12:00 AM Agree 0
I’m considering this property with a large backyard and my friend suggested that I could subdivide the land and build a three bedroom house behind the one already there. I’ve estimated the costs to be around $400-$500k. Will this be a good long-term investment for me, or should I buy a new property altogether?
  • Rob | 05 Jul 2012, 10:56 PM Agree 0
    Brendan, great example! In terms of making the hardwork to subdivide and build worthwhile, typically what percentage of ROI do you look for? Cheers.
  • Katherine Z | 20 Jun 2017, 06:50 AM Agree 0
    i think the person who has responded misunderstood the question..lol...i am not the person who wrote the question in but the way i read it they have around half a million to spend. They are asking is it better to spend the money developing the back of their existing investment property or buying another one altogether...to which i would answer it depends what you are looking for increased cash flow/yeild or capital growth. Given the person who wrote it is only in their 30s and can obviously afford the debt so probably already working and has her salary providing cash flow the answer would be to spend the money on another property in a high capital growth area preferably with a large yard, frontage, wide driveway access, orientation and good zoning. This will give them the most wealth for their $500k long term. (however, if they are likely to lose their current cash flow e.g. job and may be in need of cash they are better to develop the back as this would give them cash in the short term but give them less wealth overall into the future due to no additional capital growth).
Post a reply