Your Investment Property forum is the place for positive industry interaction and welcomes your professional and informed opinion.

Six-Year CGT rule, Tax on non-residents and CGT when selling a previously rented PPOR

Notify me of new replies via email
Your Investment Property | 20 Feb 2014, 01:21 PM Agree 0
Our tax experts are on hand to answer any tax queries you may have regarding your property investments and wealth creation strategies. Email your taxing questions to editor@yipmag.com.au.
  • JW | 20 Oct 2016, 01:21 PM Agree 0
    Hi

I have a property I bought and moved into as my principal residence in 2001. I then rented it out from 2002 (and had it valued at that point) to live with my parents before moving overseas in 2004.

I rented in the UK until 2007 where I purchased a residential property again but in the UK and lived in it until 2015. In 2016 I moved back to Australia and rented a another place and continued to rent out my original property (the one bought in 2001).

I am now selling and trying to work out if I am entitled to use the 6 year rule and for what period of time?

Regards
    JW

• DAVE TRUEMN | 19 May 2017, 08:28 PM Agree 0
      OF COURSE YOU CAN USE THE SIX YEAR RULE
    • Chris | 23 Jun 2017, 09:41 PM Agree 0
      We have a similar situation and were told by our accountant that the six year rule does not apply if you do not make the property your PPR within the six years ie. if it is more tan six years, the six year rule just does not apply.
  • MHB | 04 Nov 2016, 12:15 PM Agree 0
    Hi there, I would like to buy a house in Tasmania (I currently live in Sydney). The idea would be to buy the property and rent it for between 1 -3 years by which time I would be able to move to Tasmania and use the house as my home. I would expect to stay there for at least 5 years - probably much longer. While it was rented the property would be negatively geared. What does this mean for CGT if I sold the property? Regards MHB
  • Jay | 05 Apr 2017, 10:56 AM Agree 0
    I purchased my property in 2004 and lived in it up until 2011. It was leased out in June 2011 and the 6 year anniversary is coming up this year. The tenants should be moving out shortly and that would make it almost 6 years in total.

If I left the house vacant for a period of time after the tenants move out (e.g. 3-6 months and not available for rent), can I move back into the property afterwards resetting the 6 year rule? If so, how long do you need to move back into the property for before this 6 year rule is reset?
  • Orpheus | 19 May 2017, 03:48 PM Agree 0
    We purched a property in 1989 and rented it from 2002 to 2009. We Occumpied it again as outr main dwelling for 10 months. Rented it again in Sep 2009 until we sold it in May 2017. Do we get any part of Capital gain from Tax?
  • Henry | 22 Jun 2017, 10:36 AM Agree 0
    I bought the house in 2009 and I was living in that house for about 6 years and I have rented it out in 2015 because I moved to live with my sister. Do I need to pay Capital Gain tax?
    • | 22 Jun 2017, 10:37 AM Agree 0
      Are you an Australian resident? Have you bought another PPOR since moving out in 2015? If not, you should be able to avoid CGT with the 6-year rule.
Post a reply