Your Investment Property forum is the place for positive industry interaction and welcomes your professional and informed opinion.

Six-Year CGT rule, Tax on non-residents and CGT when selling a previously rented PPOR

Notify me of new replies via email
Your Investment Property | 20 Feb 2014, 01:21 PM Agree 0
Our tax experts are on hand to answer any tax queries you may have regarding your property investments and wealth creation strategies. Email your taxing questions to editor@yipmag.com.au.
  • JW | 20 Oct 2016, 01:21 PM Agree 0
    Hi

I have a property I bought and moved into as my principal residence in 2001. I then rented it out from 2002 (and had it valued at that point) to live with my parents before moving overseas in 2004.

I rented in the UK until 2007 where I purchased a residential property again but in the UK and lived in it until 2015. In 2016 I moved back to Australia and rented a another place and continued to rent out my original property (the one bought in 2001).

I am now selling and trying to work out if I am entitled to use the 6 year rule and for what period of time?

Regards
    JW

• MHB | 04 Nov 2016, 12:15 PM Agree 0
    Hi there, I would like to buy a house in Tasmania (I currently live in Sydney). The idea would be to buy the property and rent it for between 1 -3 years by which time I would be able to move to Tasmania and use the house as my home. I would expect to stay there for at least 5 years - probably much longer. While it was rented the property would be negatively geared. What does this mean for CGT if I sold the property? Regards MHB
Post a reply