Your Investment Property forum is the place for positive industry interaction and welcomes your professional and informed opinion.

Spam on these forums

Notify me of new replies via email
| 20 Aug 2012, 01:23 AM Agree 0
Dear Admin/Fellow forum goers,

There's not really an appropriate forum for this but I just wanted to raise with the admin of this site that the spam topics are a bit out of control.

There's a number of different things you could do to control this. Clearly the existing Catchpa system isn't working at all (apart from annoying legitimate users!). My suggestion would be to block the ability to post links in your first 20 posts or so. Also why not increase moderation on the site or even have community moderators that can block these people? There's plenty or regular contributors to this site that would be suitable (if they were happy to take up the role). Eos property and addicted come to mind immediately as regular, quality contributors to name a couple.

I for one would certainly use this site more as a resource if I didn't have to wade through spam posts about the olympics, soccer and wrestling. I'm sure I'm not alone.
  • Eos Property | 20 Aug 2012, 07:51 AM Agree 0
    Hi Smartline,

Agree wholeheartedly with your comments.

I haven't dropped in much in recent days because of the spam factor.

Another option is for all posts to be approved by admin/moderator for a while. Not an ideal solution but it will annoy the spammers as nothing will get published.

Not only are there a number of posts with streamed links there are also a number of posts which make no sense and which are only posted for backlinks.
  • JTkach | 21 Aug 2012, 12:37 AM Agree 0
    Hi Derek and Smartline,

Thank you for your comments - we have been working on ridding this forum of the spam and the captcha system has brought the number of them down, but it's still a definite problem. We will switch to a moderated system for now, and are making larger-scale changes that we hope will solve the spam issues for good and further improve the forum. Please check back with us later this week, as we should have the spam problem solved.

Thanks again for your contributions,

Jon Tkach
    Business Development Manager, Your Investment Property Magazine
  • Smartline Chiswick | 21 Aug 2012, 12:39 AM Agree 0
    Well done Jon - happy to see such a quick turnaround to our concerns once raised.

Here's lookings forward to a spam free forum!

Post a reply