Your Investment Property forum is the place for positive industry interaction and welcomes your professional and informed opinion.

Tenant suing after tripping on a paver

Notify me of new replies via email
Darren | 12 Jun 2016, 04:02 PM Agree 0
I have a rental property through an agent that has had the same tenant in the property for 3 years.
After he breached paying rent a few times I didn't renew his lease and then he tripped over a paver that I am sure he placed and hurt himself. Then he stopped paying rent and it took 3 months to get him out in which he payed no rent. Also when the police turned up to take possession he had left taking with him the pool table and a tv cabinet. Also totalled the spar, carpets and a couple of walls.
I have landlords insurance and liability.
He started by suing the agent who in turn sued me for not providing a safe residence.
I contacted the police about the theft and now he is suing me.
I only got the recent letter from his solicitors on Friday so have not informed my insurance company yet.
Question is do I need to get legal advice? O let it take its course?
Since I have not received rent for 3 months I am cash poor and credit spent. So have been reluctant to get legal help so far since insurance said we did not need to.
  • Al | 11 Oct 2016, 11:33 AM Agree 0
    Things looks quite messy.. and it looks like PM isn't helping for their fees they pocketed for the past 3 years - passing a buck - which is bad but not surprising. Contacting your insurer sounds like a good idea as they should take care of the legal matter. How did you go?
  • No | 12 Oct 2016, 02:21 PM Agree 0
    You should see if the paver problem was reported by the tenant, as in my view as a property manager, and owner can't fix what they haven't been told. If the tenant has reported this to the agency and nothing has been done, then the agency is at fault, but the tenant would need to prove that he has reported this and they did nothing to rectify the problem. As well, you need to check routine inspection reports that the property manager has done, to see if they reported uneven pavers or other paving issues. If you have been notified of any paver issue in a report and didn't have the problem fixed, then unfortunately it will be a problem for you.
Post a reply