Your Investment Property forum is the place for positive industry interaction and welcomes your professional and informed opinion.

Tenants who are too good to be true

Notify me of new replies via email
Your Investment Property | 30 Oct 2012, 12:00 AM Agree 0
My property manager has noticed that our tenants have installed new lighting fittings across the house and have improved the kitchen cupboards. They’ve repainted rooms (the same colour) and shampooed the carpets – all out of their own pocket and without permission. Now I’m curious what will happen if they one day want to leave.
  • answer | 30 Oct 2012, 01:22 PM Agree 0
    So what's the answer to this?
    Can they claim back any of these unauthorized “enhancements”?
  • EDA | 30 Oct 2012, 06:03 PM Agree 0
    On the surface it appears you have great tenants, but it also appears you have a lousy property management team. The work done should never have been undertaken without expressed consent and by licensed trades people. How often are your property managers conducting inspections?
    The legal liability under the new legislation would cost you thousands if something was to happen to them in the process. You and the agent would be liable to pay. So you don't have to pay for the work done now; but you will pay if they make a claim for injury if it is proven your property manager knew all along.
Post a reply