Your Investment Property forum is the place for positive industry interaction and welcomes your professional and informed opinion.

'The Investors Club' - Yes or No?????

Notify me of new replies via email
| 29 Aug 2011, 06:06 AM Agree 0
Hi,

I am wondering if anyone uses or has had experience with 'The Investment Club'. I attended an information talk by them and have been very wary of similar type organisations previously. I am wondering if anyone can tell me why people use these types of companies as part of their investment property strategy?

Thanks in advance!
  • theperthurbanist | 25 Apr 2012, 03:52 PM Agree 0
    I am a firm believer in the mantra 'never take investment advice from a person who is selling you property (or profiting from you purchasing a property'.
    That being said I am very interested to head other people's experience with TIC.
    Also, I see no harm in going along to these sort of 'free seminars', as long as you leave your wallet at home and your head on your shoulders you can often learn a thing or two.
  • wozza | 26 Apr 2012, 02:07 AM Agree 0
    I haven't had anything to do with them myself, but I did read a while back that they were being taken to court: http://www.propertyobserver.com.au/residential/after-mediation-fails-investors-club-dispute-headed-for-court/2011122052917
  • Jamie M | 28 Apr 2012, 09:42 AM Agree 0
    Hi nickandmick

With any investment type clubs, you need to work out "what's in it for them? How are they making their money?"

Are they selling the investment properties? Are they recommending particular properties that they may be getting a commission out of? If they are, do you feel that the price is justifiable or do you think you're paying a premium?

Most importantly, are they doing anything that you couldn't do yourself?

Cheers

Jamie
  • addicted | 12 May 2012, 06:58 AM Agree 0
    In answer to your question "why people use these types of companies as part of their investment property strategy?"

I'd say because they don't know how to do it themselves. Reading books if fine but many need guidance. If you do they may help get you started. There are many companies/groups/seminars etc out there.
    But as others have said look at what their motivation is.

TIC have many "mentors" who are simply people that have bought a property through them. They (I assume) get commissions for signing people up and selling them properties.

I met one of their "people" at an investment weekend. I intended to go to one of their meetings but the nighttime ones were for beginners mostly. The meetups by others tended to be during the day. so I never found one that suited me.

Meeting like minded people is the catalyst(I feel) to get you going (well it was for me). I met lots of people doing what I wanted to do and they made it look so easy. I thought "I can do that". And I did.
  • AuPropertySpectator | 24 May 2012, 06:49 AM Agree 0
    I'm inclined to agree with the posters above on this topic.

I do heed the advice of industry experts, yes, BUT typically these are the self-made success stories that I look to as my Property Investment guru's. You know, the ones who've 'been there, and done that' and, most importantly, are NOT attached commercially to any kind of real estate company, development.

So, I'm specifically referring to the 'Margaret Lomas's, Michael Yardney's, Paul Do's, and Jan Somers's' of the world. And even then, I may not always agree with them.

I actually blogged a lot recently about where to go to for trusted sources of information (and before you ask, I do not work for ANY kind of real estate company!! I work in an Ad Agency plus I'm a contributing Journalist for www.propertyobserver.com.au - but I have ZERO commercial vested attachment to any company!). Anyways, the post is here and worth a read if you have a moment:

http://www.propertyspectator.blogspot.com.au/2012/03/mainstream-media-glamorisation-of.html

In coming months I want to write my own whitepaper series (no mean feat considering my minimal professional writing experience!). But, any sources quoted or metrics supplied will be taken from third party research sources with NO vested interest. So; the likes of Nielsen/Roy Morgan research, ABS research, plus my own user surveys which I conduct regularly using Survey Monkey, then compile the data as quantitative and qualitative.

These are the kinds of research people/tools/seminars/books/dvds etc you should reach out to: Third party sources. Third party, third party, and heck I'll say a third time - third party!
  • SydneyWealthBuilder | 24 May 2012, 11:54 AM Agree 0
    I can help you with properties in Queensland, Victoria and New South Wales djbarker74@yahoo.com.au
  • Brock Chewings | 14 Jun 2012, 02:13 AM Agree 0
    The Investor's Club?

Well, i must say that you have to consider some things before deciding to join them.

First is, what are their motives? Do they just want to sell properties or recommend properties wherein they could get some commission or kick bucks?

Secondly, you have to consider the thought that some people want more bucks than what is due. Better think not just twice but thrice before acquiring their offer or joining them. you may never know if they just want to get additional money from you.

Lastly, RESEARCH. talk to other people who already have experience in doing such. Ask them if they are credible.
Post a reply