Your Investment Property forum is the place for positive industry interaction and welcomes your professional and informed opinion.

Website selling ‘ocean view homes’ for $3,000

Notify me of new replies via email
Your Investment Property | 20 Nov 2014, 12:53 PM Agree 0
While many Australians grow more concerned about a housing bubble and interest rates, one website appears to be selling lakeside, ocean view, and alfresco homes for as low as $3,000.
  • Bob | 20 Nov 2014, 06:49 PM Agree 0
    I don't really understand the point of this campaign? Is it supposed to make us feel better about our overpriced housing?? A better plan would be for Australia to stop wasting money on overpriced housing (which is borrowed money spend on made up house prices), fix our housing bubble so we can free up cash to allow us to help ourselves (business/economy/create jobs etc) and then help other countries. Greedy idiots, was this campaign by REA?
    • Habitat for Humanity Australia | 21 Nov 2014, 11:51 AM Agree 0
      Hi Bob, the intention was to provide some light relief, but also to shed light on the very serious housing crisis in Asia Pacific, where 500 million people are living in slums. We are not trying to make people feel guilty or overlook the real housing problems in Australia - in fact we also work with communities in Australia to help families that are struggling to find secure decent housing. Instead, we're hoping to raise awareness on the issue and offer some perspective.
  • david | 21 Nov 2014, 08:44 AM Agree 0
    if 800k can build 400 houses then chances are that the cost of this campaign alone could have given quite a few impoverished families their own home outright.

A little hypocrisy goes a long way it seems.
    • Habitat for Humanity Australia | 21 Nov 2014, 12:18 PM Agree 0
      Hi David,
      Thanks to the support of the Department of Foreign Affairs and Trade (DFAT) we have been able to run this campaign. Our projects overseas build houses for families in need and raising awareness through campaigns such as these plays a key part in spreading the message of the need for secure, decent housing and allows us to raise more money so we can make an even bigger difference in people’s lives.
  • Debbe | 21 Nov 2014, 10:01 AM Agree 0
    Seriously, what is the purpose of this program?? I understand that $800k may well build that many houses in impoverished countries, but how does that really impact us here?
    House prices are only at the level for which people are willing to pay - no buyers and prices drop - common sense! Building 200 or 400 houses in another country will not give you a roof over your head here - like I said - don't get the point to the campaign!
    • Habitat for Humanity Australia | 21 Nov 2014, 11:57 AM Agree 0
      Hi Debbe, the purpose was to raise awareness of the need for adequate housing in Asia Pacific and the growing number of people living in slums. We hope to offer some perspective to help people get an insight into the housing problems people in Asia Pacific experience and question what is the real value of housing overseas - for many in Asia Pacific, it's the basics we take for granted.
  • JaY (mUSA) | 21 Nov 2014, 10:24 AM Agree 0
    I dont know about bamboo houses? But in Fiji they make huts out of plant matter and leaves etc,. or africa mud.
    In my mind mud bricks or digging under ground homes in Australia like alice springs is a good idea, as it reduces the heat by 20 degrees to 18 from 40 or 50 degrees as an example.
    But in all reality all we need is low cost portable homes ,what i mean is portables out of corogated iron , like at mining sites.
    But together in a hub or spaced out with toilets in ground ,etc, wells, internet , green houses for gardening solar power.
    That's it and it wouldnt be no slum. Running water - well make a big lake and dig for underground stream, make green house etc.

Self sustaining.

Instead of accepting bad housing send money and only use for food then hungry again, people need to do more changes more upgrades, and get help from others etc.
Post a reply