Your Investment Property forum is the place for positive industry interaction and welcomes your professional and informed opinion.

What to do if a tenant dies

Notify me of new replies via email
Your Investment Property | 13 Oct 2011, 12:00 AM Agree 0
The death of a tenant is a tragedy for their family and friends – and it’s a time when landlords need to show true compassion, says Carolyn Majda, General Manager of Terri Scheer Insurance.
  • rebecca baxter | 20 Nov 2012, 08:03 AM Agree 0
    unfortunately the lack of compassion in our case is non exsistant. My brother was recently killed in a road traffic accident where he was killed instantly, the pain and loss this caused us as a family is unimaginable. He was renting his property and when we got in touch with the estate agents we was appalled and disgusted at the response of the landlord/lady ... we were told that we had no rights to sort out his belongings with out a member of your move present and that we had until the 1st of november to get out . The property was put back on the market straight away with veiwings being held the day after we buried him . The landlady then visited the property and showed no compassion what so ever just disrispect. She now wishes to claim 200 ponds of his thousand pound bond for cobwebs and because we didnt mow the lawn !!!! this is now in dispute as she has not stuck too rules which are set in paper she inspected the property alone and also did not get back in touch with the report for over 12 days of us handing back the keys which in this time knew tennants are now living in the prpoerty .
  • Marlene | 24 Mar 2016, 10:10 PM Agree 0
    I think you'll find the best course of action is to liaise with the executor of the will as any current lease is inherited by the estate and dealt with accordingly. Perhaps the tenants referred to here died intestate in which case you would liaise with the NSW Trustees Department (if in NSW). As for entering a property where you suspect the tenant to be deseased you take a big risk especially if the death is suspicious. Better to call the Police and ask them to conduct a welfare check.
Post a reply