Your Investment Property forum is the place for positive industry interaction and welcomes your professional and informed opinion.

Your rights and responsibilities as a landlord

Notify me of new replies via email
Your Investment Property | 22 Feb 2012, 12:00 AM Agree 0
Being a landlord involves more than just collecting rents and maintaining the property. Pamela Yardney, director with Metropole Properties, outlines what every landlord needs to know about their rights and responsibilities
  • Toreasa | 14 Feb 2013, 11:00 PM Agree 0
    How should a property manager advice the landlord that the tenant is taking them to tribunal - by a letter
    in the mail or by email or phone?
  • paul smith | 26 May 2013, 08:06 AM Agree 0
    I have sub let 3/4 of a commercial shed in Tasmania,the tenants are in qld,and don't answer the phone when I try to ring them about non payment of rent,I have no know address for them,how do I inform them tp vacate premesis
  • Matthew Watson | 11 Nov 2013, 04:58 PM Agree 0
    I have an issue with my landlady, beside he being rude, harassing and very unpredictable when she is drunk. I have gone from being asked to be her off sider. Doing cash jobs, and minding the place. To now having cancer like treatment and being kicked out. What can I do. She won't take calls form the RTA. Nor will the body corp help me. I am very very sick, I am uptodate with my rent. What can I do. The only thing that is changed is me being sick. Ocean Sound Holiday Apartments Broadbeach QLD
  • Marisa | 17 Mar 2014, 10:38 AM Agree 0
    As a landlord, the agreement is comming to and end and the tennant wants a new one written out. I have spent thousands of dollars fixing the gate and am still having trouble with the electric motor. Am I able to change the agreement to state that I will no longer be responsible for fixing the motor after warrenty date has expired?
  • Susan Harvey | 22 Mar 2014, 05:24 PM Agree 0
    Hi, I have purchased a unit for myself to reside in, with a ready made tenant and she has asked me for money to move out, but failed to get the other unit, so she stayed in mine. I have not signed the lease agreement and it runs out end July 14. She has send me rude, demanding texts, and when the air-con broke down on Friday she wanted me to send someone around asap. I received that email on a Friday night and phoned her on Saturday, so I could view the air-con and purchase a new one similar, but she said it was inconvenient for me to come around. I asked her if I could go of an evening and she said that is not convenient also 'Honey'. I informed her I could not come during the day Monday to Friday but can of an evening. She does not work. She then said 'just get someone here to fix it'. I am of the opinion I will have to purchase a new one and wanted to get the property for myself to reside in and is angry that at the end of July she has to move out hence her attitude. Am I being unreasonable. thanks Susy
  • Gerrad | 26 Mar 2014, 09:48 AM Agree 0
    Hi Susy, no you are not being unreasonable. Your tenant is playing games. If she won't let you in to view the air con, then don't fix it. Wait till she has gone and then fix it.
  • Tanya | 02 May 2014, 01:51 PM Agree 0
    As the landlord I instructed the agent to replace a faulty cistern (using the agents tradesman) at my expense. Several weeks later the cistern had come away from the wall. I don't believe it was shoddy tradesmanship, rather damage caused by the tenant. We have now been billed again to have the cistern reattached and I am not happy as the agent did not tell us we would be having to pay again. Can you please let me know if this is correct? Also my agent doesn't like to tell the tenants the walls are filthy, as apparently you can't tell people how to live?? Very confused.
  • Rachel | 24 Jul 2014, 12:39 PM Agree 0
    I'm a landlord, my real estate agent started a new lease with a new tenant before discussing the lease terms with me. The day he sent me the lease to sign was same day the lease started and it was the first time I saw the rental rate and term of the lease. I haven't signed the lease agreement, my agent says he can sign on my behalf, is it true? Is the agreement valid? Also the new tenant wants me to remove the wash machine and dryer from the property, and my agent says by law I have to as it is not permanent fixture of the house, is his claim true? Kindly help.
  • victoria | 28 Aug 2014, 11:26 PM Agree 0
    Is it true that i have to reduce the rent if I decrease the size of a hot water service in my property
  • Carla Rozowsky | 01 Sep 2014, 09:07 PM Agree 0
    I am new to the rental thing in Sydney. As a tenant, am I allowed to knock up pictures and paintings on the wall?

• frustrated | 10 Nov 2014, 03:06 PM Agree 0
    I have recently moved into a rental property, there is no insulation in the property, and I am located in a very hot and humid town, where it gets to 30 degrees. Having to run a split system 24/7 is costing a fortune. I have spoken to the property manager about window frames having gaps sucking all the cool and hot air straight out, they have told me there is nothing that can be done about this, Upon speaking to the department of fair trading, they told me that the landlord has Breached his contract by leaving the property as is. Also have asked the property manager to send someone out to check the hot water system as it is constantly kicking in like every half hour, but to no avail. I have also been told by the real estate that they cannot do any repairs until they speak the landlord. I was under the assumption that having a property manager had all rights to do any maintenance on behalf of the landlord?? Also am I able to call the landlord directly??
  • nickg198 | 11 Jan 2016, 10:10 PM Agree 0
    Management rights are the letting agent and caretaking services which private management rights arrangements in Queensland are generally working well
  • Latham | 15 Apr 2016, 10:03 AM Agree 0
    Hi. I've been alerted by my real estate agent / property manager that the bathroom sink has a major crack in it and needs to be replaced. The sink is only 10 years old and the damage was done by the last tenant. The agent did not report the damage or take it out of their bond. What recourse do I have here? do I have to replace the sink at my own expense? is there a way to get it out of the last tenant? How can I hold the agent responsible for this negligence?
Post a reply