Getting the maximum benefits from property tax

By |

Expert Advice by Paul Wilson

Do you know all of the tax deductions you can claim on your investment property?
Tax preparation can be a nightmare, especially if you have more than one property. But, you can fight the stress with a few simple organisational strategies for your files:
  1. Assign each property a separate file.
  2. Find out every last tax allowance you are entitled to for each property, so you have a better idea about what documentation is necessary and beneficial to keep.
  3. Regularly update each file with recent documentation – don’t let it pile up.
To ensure you are getting the maximum allowable tax deductions, it pays to speak to your accountant. You may or may not be aware that all of the items listed below are approved tax deductible expenses:
Maintenance expenses
While house and garden repair and maintenance jobs done on the property are an obvious expense that you can claim on your tax, did you know that overhead costs such as phones and vehicles can be deducted also?
If you have used your vehicle to perform maintenance tasks or look for investment properties you may be able to charge some pro rata vehicle expenses. Similarly, the cost of using a telephone, office space, stationery, internet and computer may be able to be deducted on a pro rata base as well.   
Capital expenditure
Don’t forget that capital expenditure is tax deductible and should be shown in a Depreciation Schedule. Common depreciating assets include dishwashers, air conditioning units, carpet, curtains and blinds, hot water systems and pool filters and cleaning systems.
While some items depreciate over time, others can be depreciated during the year of purchase. If you know all of the details about the purchase of each item, your accountant can work it out but we advise employing a qualified Quantity Surveyor to prepare a professional Depreciation Schedule for you. They will produce a report that will give a detailed value of the deductions you are entitled to for each tax return.
I have managed to get my hands on a limited number of hard cover books about tax tips and deductions you have most likely never thought of. If you would like to secure one of these valuable books click here. You’ll read all about how Noel Whittaker and Julia Hartman's book on taxes can help you when property investing.
For further information about how to get the max from your tax, contact us now on 1800 690 890 and ask for Paul, or email

Paul Wilson is an Independent Property Investing Expert and the founder of We Find Houses, Educating Property Investors & We Find Finance. Paul has been educating and coaching investors since 2001. Paul provides valuable, independent guidance and support by teaching strategies on how you can invest successfully while protecting yourself from commission hungry sales agents and property spruikers. Protect yourself with knowledge, contact Paul today for a complimentary consultation on 1800 600 890 or email

To read more Expert Advice articles by Paul, click here

Disclaimer: while due care is taken, the viewpoints expressed by contributors do not necessarily reflect the opinions of Your Investment Property.

- This article originally appeared on

Whether you are looking to buy your first home, move home, refinance, or invest in property, a mortgage broker can help. Access loans from all the major lenders, get help with paperwork – plus there is no charge for this service. Get help from a local mortgage broker

Top Suburbs : balga , greenwood , st peters , artarmon , freshwater