This month I have decided to come out!

By Tyron Hyde | 31 Jul 2013

Expert Advice: by Tyron Hyde

Ok, I’m coming out…I’ve been lying for years.

When people ask me what I do at dinner parties, I generally say “I’m a Valuer”.

Why? Because people just don’t get what Quantity Surveyors do – and it’s easier to say “I’m a Valuer of construction costs”

We get so many calls from people wanting valuations on their properties or wanting us to go out “survey” there property…

So let’s dumb it down and explain the difference:

A Property Valuer – is someone who will value what your property is worth or what the units in your development will sell for.

A Land Surveyor – is someone who can work out where the boundary of your property is and even set out where your property will be built. They are those funny people with those theodolite thingamajigs!

A Quantity Surveyor – is someone who try and work out what the construction cost of your property is likely to be. I say “try” because as you can appreciate, lots can go wrong during construction such as weather conditions.


Even Facebook doesn’t know what a Quantity Surveyor is….on our Facebook page there isn’t even a category for “Quantity Surveyors” – so I have to say we are “Real Estate Investment”

Tyron Hyde is a director of quantity surveying firm Washington Brown. For more QS Corner tips and information on property depreciation including a FREE online tax depreciation calculator, visit


To read more Expert Advice articles by Tyron Click Here

Disclaimer: while due care is taken, the viewpoints expressed by contributors do not necessarily reflect the opinions of Your Investment Property.

Top Suburbs : revesby hts , newcastle , west wodonga , torrensville , gladesville