Your Investment Property forum is the place for positive industry interaction and welcomes your professional and informed opinion.

Building an investment property and living in it?

Notify me of new replies via email
MY-MJ | 28 Sep 2012, 12:17 PM Agree 0
Dear forum-members,

We (my wife and I) would be grateful to you, if anyone could provide a great solution to our scenario.

We are living in a suburb (22 km South-West of Melbourne CBD). We have paid off the mortgage of the house we are living in at present.

We bought a block of land in a neighbouring suburb, 1 year ago and now we are building an investment property on it. We're building it with Porter Davis. The way things are shaping up, the investment property is going to much better than the house we're living in at present.

The problem is - if we move in to this new house and start living in it, we would have to pay off this big new mortgage of $550K, and we can't claim that interest on tax.

And to make matters worse, if we give the house (we are living in at present) for rent, we can't do any negative gearing on that. And we have to declare extra income from this rental house.

So, we are looking for a legitimate way of transferring the big mortgage of this investment property ($550K) to our existing house (we've been living in for 7 years - of which, the mortgage is paid off); So, that we can give it out for rent and we can take the benefit of negative gearing. And at the same time, the new property becomes mortgagge-free.

Any suggestions / recommendations would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you in advance.
  • Eos Property | 20 Nov 2012, 07:49 PM Agree 0
    Victoria offers a spousal transfer arrangement - in effect one of you sells their half to the spouse. While it won't entirely fix the problem it will alleviate some of the pain. This is not a straight forward thing as there is a possibility Part IVA of the tax act (tax avoidance) may apply. Recommend you seek professional tax advice before doing anything in this line.
  • ricky | 01 Apr 2020, 10:15 PM Agree 0
    Agreed, you could go for spousal transfer if possible. Also, you could take the advice of any real estate guy or financial advisor. I hope that helps.
Post a reply