Your Investment Property forum is the place for positive industry interaction and welcomes your professional and informed opinion.

Changing the ownership of existing residence for investment purpose

Notify me of new replies via email
s2155306 | 28 Jun 2015, 01:27 AM Agree 0
I am new to property investment and need some advises from the experts.
My husband and I have lived in sydney unit for 9 years. We have worked hard and managed to repay the entire loan. The property is now estimated worth 800K. Now we would like to move to bigger house for family.

We want to keep hold of our sydney unit and use it as an investment property. I found it very hard to find suitable investment property. However, since there is no loan balance owing it would be difficult to get any tax deduction.

I was thinking about the option to transferring the property from Joint ownership (my husband & I) to single ownership (myself). Since it was our principle of residency, we will not be paying any capital gains tax (CGT). But I will need to pay the stamp duty + legal fee for the transfer. I would also get the loan from the bank (with the market value evaulation).

My question is if I transfer the joint ownership property to single ownership and get a new mortgage & pay stamp duty to start a new investment cycle, will the tax office see it's "Dodgy" act?

Many thanks in advance.
  • Terryw | 02 Jul 2015, 02:33 PM Agree 0
    Yes, this would be possible. Seek tax advice on Part IVA
  • Stephen | 16 Mar 2016, 09:09 PM Agree 0
    I'm in the same boat. Can you please advice if I borrow money to buy 50% from partner, is it tax deductible?
Post a reply