Your Investment Property forum is the place for positive industry interaction and welcomes your professional and informed opinion.

Establishing cost of Granny Flat (property transfer of ownership) for CGT

Notify me of new replies via email
Regas | 02 Apr 2020, 12:14 PM Agree 0
Hi,
In 2002 my parents property was transferred to my sister and I under the Granny Flat provisions. No money changed hands, stamp duty on the transfer of the property was paid on the capital value shown on their council rates. A Valuation was made soon after and it was significant higher than the capital value shown on the rates notice and used for the stamp duty calculation. Does anyone know what the ATO would expect or accept as the cost of the property for CGT when no money has changed hands. Obviously we would like to use the higher valuation to reduce the CGT.
  • InterestedToo | 03 Apr 2020, 01:37 PM Agree 0
    According to DSS There is no market for granny flat interests because they are private family arrangements. The value of a granny flat interest is GENERALLY the same as the amount paid for the interest. This means there is NO deprivation amount. https://guides.dss.gov.au/guide-social-security-law/4/6/4/50
Post a reply