Your Investment Property forum is the place for positive industry interaction and welcomes your professional and informed opinion.

Landlord rights

Notify me of new replies via email
Jazzblue | 07 Apr 2019, 11:57 AM Agree 0
I have a property and we are looking at selling. We ha e a rental agreement but also know the remnant through a friendship.
We have contacted the tennant about us selling t h e house. We would like him to move out asap y mutual agreement.
His response has been threats of violence against my family which I have records of.
What rights do I have with this in mind to not having g to give him t hbe standard 60 days notice.
  • Quinny | 28 Apr 2019, 09:03 PM Agree 0
    If you have a written rental contract (yearly) then legally it is 120days notice.
  • Gunny48 | 12 Sep 2020, 12:32 PM Agree 0
    My property is in Victoria and my tenant is demanding compensation for his stress and pain and suffering due to non-emergency maintenance work that was unable to be fully completed due to Covid-19 Stage 4 lock down. The tenant is also claiming his peace was disturbed due to a trades person that apparently knocked on his door without calling him first.
    The tenant is also going to VCAT and stated they are going to hold the rent at the VCAT special rent account until the work is completed.
    I am wondering what the current law around this is and what my rights are?
    • Property88 | 14 Sep 2020, 08:41 AM Agree 0
      As far as I'm aware there is no "special rent account" they are bluffin on that account.

      Do you have a property manager? If not, I would get one immediately. They can assist you and advise you of all the laws. Even if you're mid-tenancy, you can still engage a property manager to help you. There are a lot of complicated laws around tenancies atm so an expert on your side will take a lot of stress out of the situation for you.
Post a reply