Your Investment Property forum is the place for positive industry interaction and welcomes your professional and informed opinion.

Planning Permit Charges and Obligations

Notify me of new replies via email
RRAO | 25 Nov 2014, 11:29 AM Agree 0
Good day forum members

I am currently looking at properties on auction for building 2 or 3 x 3 bedroom units dbl-storey, in one of the Northern Suburbs of Melbourne, Victoria.

I was told I need to get a Planning Permit.

People tell me, Town Planning Specialists or Draftsperson usually quote for the job.

I also hear that a number of factors influence council's decision.

The decision could be in the permit applicant's favour or otherwise, even after taking all the right steps to comply with town planning requirements.

The permit applicant or the town planning specialist have very little control on the outcome from the permit application process, despite everyone's sincere effort to strive for the best outcome.

Anyone knows, what happens if the Council rejects Planning Permit application at the end?

Do you still pay the consultant their fees or most of the fees?

Also, is the fee paid in stages or at the end of the Planning Permit process?
Any idea what these stages would be?

Thanks a lot in advance, if someone could get back that would be great.


  • ASH | 25 Nov 2014, 05:19 PM Agree 0
    Fee you have to pay, but normally if it is not allowed/supported for sure, Council can tell that for sure.
  • Justin | 06 Apr 2015, 08:47 PM Agree 0
    hi RRAO, if council knocks back your application you can take it to VCAT, and they will review your planning application. Your town planner and drafty should be able to advise you about the strength of your application, and how it might be viewed by VCAT.

    You will still be required to pay your consultants for the work they have done. But you should ask upfront what the schedule of fees are for the various stages i.e. drawing a sketch or mud map through to the full town planning application.

    If you go to VCAT you will have to pay a town planner to represent you, and put forward your case in town planning terms.
Post a reply