Your Investment Property forum is the place for positive industry interaction and welcomes your professional and informed opinion.

Problem tenant

Notify me of new replies via email
| 23 Nov 2010, 01:55 AM Agree 0

I have a tenant - a tradie- who was very good at the start, then he started falling behind his rent. I tried calling him but he wouldn't return my call. Can I evict him based on this ground? How much notice do I need to give?
  • Rob Farmer | 24 Nov 2010, 02:38 AM Agree 0
    Hi - how late is the tenant paying their rent and what state are they in?
  • sarndt | 24 Nov 2010, 03:42 AM Agree 0
    hi rob, I'm in SA and he's now six weeks late
  • Rob Farmer | 24 Nov 2010, 04:10 AM Agree 0
    You need to serve the tenant a notice and provide him the opportunity to pay. After that you need to apply to have the tenant vacate. It is very important you serve these notices correctly.

    Have a look at:

    Hope this helps
  • Pablo | 30 Nov 2010, 05:19 AM Agree 0

    If he is behind on his payments and doesn't answer the phone there's a reason for it, he doesn't have the money!

    You should always issue a breach as soon as they are 14 days behind (SA) and also issue a notice to enter the premises at the same time. I had one tenant who vacated when I issued the breach, which was good, but they did not let me know and would not answer my phone calls / text's. I had no way of knowing if they were living in the premises so legally I was not allowed to go in, I had to issue a right to enter the property and wait the 7 days required before I could check to see if they were still living there.

    Sarndt, I'm in Adelaide so if you want a bit of self management advice I would be happy to steer you in the right direction.

    Hope this helps.

    Please note that comments given are general in nature and should not be considered advice as they do not take into account all of your personal circumstances.
  • Tom | 25 Jul 2012, 02:27 AM Agree 0
    Rob is right. You can't just ask your tenant to vacate. There should be a process to be done. The link he shared is will completely guide you how to deal with your tenant. And for humanity reason, you should talk about your tenant and have an agreement to give him time to pay for his rent.

    To help you manage your property you can hire a property manager or use an online property management software that can ease your work in managing your property.
  • Bennett | 29 Jul 2012, 07:16 AM Agree 0
    Your problem tenant may exhibit any number of these behaviors. A common issue that problem renters have is conflicts with your other renters. There may be fights, verbal disagreements, or perhaps nightly visits by the police that disrupt the peace and quiet of your other renters.
  • Brock Chewings | 17 Aug 2012, 07:29 AM Agree 0
    There are many things to consider in your problem. Since your tenant is a good payer before maybe he encountered some problems with regards to money. You can talk to him or give a notice of your agreement. You should done it in a nice way so he will not become offended. You should choose the words you are going to use.
  • propertymgmt | 21 Aug 2012, 05:52 AM Agree 0
    Termination Notice period time depends upon the contract that you have made at the time of started availing Property Management Services. This time may be vary one month to three months.

    property management services

Post a reply