Your Investment Property forum is the place for positive industry interaction and welcomes your professional and informed opinion.

Proposed reforms to negative gearing

Notify me of new replies via email
Your Investment Property | 14 Mar 2018, 12:00 AM Agree 0
The government could save more than $1bn annually, but some analysts say reforms would reduce investment into rental housing
  • Shaun | 14 Mar 2018, 01:24 PM Agree 0
    The government cannot supply enough housing now, how will they manage when investors walk away and it all becomes government funded, buy a lot of tents?
  • Mike | 14 Mar 2018, 08:56 PM Agree 0
    Ive got 5 investment properties, and the diluting of negative gearing will push me to be more frugal with tenant repair requests, cut costs elsewhere (find a less experienced rental agent who charges less) and hike rent like every other investor is expected to do when leases are nearing renewals. Inconvenience for this 25yo guy “mum and dad” investor- detrimental to renters
  • Philip | 14 Mar 2018, 10:18 PM Agree 0
    From the investor's point of view, the rental could not cover most of the expense. The stable capital gain may a good incentive to buy properties for investment. As government would like to levy more tax from exemption of CGT. I think it may reduce the encourage of investors also lift the rental from tenants Where could cause the vicious circles.
  • RJW | 19 Oct 2018, 08:35 PM Agree 0
    Those that oppose Negative gearing, CGT Discounts etc have very little understanding of economics.
    When i look at young peoples work ethic and spending habits its hard to blame unaffordable housing on
    so called greedy investors? What about the governments poor track record of financial management etc,
    that has reduced good paying jobs for most people? What about high cost of living and excessive tax take?
    What about government waisting tax dollars on foreign aid and benefits for those in parliament? Have we
    forgotten investors pay stamp duty on property purchase?

Most Mum and Dad Australian investors would like to see a crackdown on foreign investment especially from China, but to
    screw the rules and change existing financial structures of those with investments is just political garbage. As an Investor i am Voting Greens last, ALP second last and giving Liberal my vote.
Post a reply